Saturday, June 20, 2020

Lonesome Road - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  Lonesome Road (Miss Silver #3) by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Really Liked It!

Source: Purchased

Description:  Every year beautiful Rachel Treherne must rewrite her will--and decide who will inherit her late father's vast wealth...But this year, things are just a little bit different:
Somebody clearly wants her to die.

"You have had that money long enough," said the anonymous note. Two venomous snakes coiled in her bed, a suspicious fire and poisoned chocolates made the same point. Now Rachel looks fearfully at those around her: Her invalid sister Mabel, the innocent looking Caroline and her fiance Richard, her first cousin Cosmo Firth, her dedicated companion Louisa, and even the handsome visitor mysteriously linked to her father's past. Enlisting the very capable talents of Miss Silver seems the only way she can stay alive...

Genre: Mystery - Classic

My Impression:  That is the Miss Silver I know and love!  While she has been a presence in the first 2 books she seemed a bit muted and much more of a side character.  Here Miss Silver is front and center from almost the very beginning with all her good sense and Tennyson quotes.  

This is one of those mysteries where everyone except the victim is a suspect and the plot is a little different as the focus is to prevent a murder and not solve one that's already happened.  Miss Silver has complicated family relationships, secrets, and a whole cast of characters with opportunity and motive.  So just who is trying to kill Rachel and what kind of secrets are everyone else hiding?  The characters with only a few exceptions are all rather terrible in that kind of classic British mystery terrible character way.  

The reading experience is warm and cozy and entertaining.  While Miss Silver is very different from Christie's Miss Marple there is a very similar feel to her books.  I'm very much looking forward to reading more of Miss Silver!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  Wentworth is a favorite.

Would I Recommend this Book?  I would!  If you enjoy Miss Marple books then you must give Miss Silver a try.  While this is the 3rd book in the series the books are only a series because Miss Silver is in them and can be read in any order.  This would be a good one to start with.

3 comments:

  1. Wentworth is a good author, I have at least one of her books on my kindle. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Miss Silver does sound lovely, so if they can be read in any order I take it there is no ongoing story around Miss Silver, she "just" solves mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I tried to read the first Miss Silver book decades ago, in my early 20s. I couldn't quite get into it, but reading this review, I see that the "muted" "side character" nature of Miss Silver didn't work for me. When I try again — and I will! — I will start with this book, instead. Besides, the plot sounds Christie-esque and altogether irresistible.

    ReplyDelete