Monday, February 24, 2014

The Birds and Other Stories - Review

The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier

Rating: 5 Stars

Description:  This is the collection of 6 short stories by Daphne du Maurier.  The Birds is the story that Hitchcock based one of his most famous movies after.  Monte Verita is the story of 2 men and a woman, a love of mountains and the search for peace.  The Apple Tree tells the tale of a man dealing with the death of a not so beloved wife.  In the Little Photographer we meet a bored married aristocrat looking for a little excitement away from her husband.  Kiss Me Again Stranger shows us that things are not always what they seem when a young man meets an usherette at a theater.  The Old Man tells the tale of a family when someone refuses to leave.

Genre: Fiction

My Impression:  I've read Rebecca probably 10 times but I've never searched out any of du Maurier's other works until now.  There are definitely creepy aspects of Rebecca (Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca's old room anyone?) but in these stories du Maurier takes creepy to a whole new level.  I've been scared by a book but I don't think I've ever felt the slow deliberate build up of dread that she manages to achieve in each story.  The atmosphere is beautifully if drearily drawn and the sense of foreboding increases to almost claustrophobic levels.  My favorite story was probably "The Birds" with "The Apple Tree" a close second.  I've seen bits and pieces of the Hitchcock movie and always thought the concept seemed a little silly.  I mean, how can birds be scary?  Never again.  In fact I'm thinking about getting rid of all the bird feeders around my house just in case!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, in fact I've already recommended to just about anyone who will listen.

6 comments:

  1. I really must find time to read this! By du Maurier I have just read Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel. I bought The House on the Strand as my next read by her, but I STILL haven't read it. And I have an e-copy of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it! I want to hear your opinion. I've never been so creeped out by a book. I've been scared thanks to some early Patricia Cornwell but never thoroughly creeped out. Will have to get come more of her work.

      Delete
  2. Can you believe I haven't read anything by du Maurier? It's embarrassing. And what's more embarrassing, I had never heard her name before I began blogging. At least not that I remember. I have a copy of Rebecca on my shelf. I should read it it and find out why everyone is always talking about Mrs. Danvers at least . . .

    I have heard of the movie The Birds, but until a few years ago didn't know it was based on a written story. This collection sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?? You haven't read Rebecca? Actually, I seem to know a lot of people who haven't. It's been so long I can't remember what actually inspired me to pick it up. I actually liked these stories better than Rebecca. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know that The Birds was based on a story!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you - love Rebecca but have never read any other du Maurier. And I always forget that she wrote The Birds. I really need to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely look this one up! I think I actually liked these stories better than Rebecca.

      Delete