Monday, February 17, 2014

Disengaged - Review


Disengaged by Beth Orsoff

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Allie Zent is newly engaged to her ambitious, good looking and good in bed boyfriend Brad.  There are only a few hiccups in her happiness - her friends can't stand him, his mother is taking over and she's met a new very intriguing guy named Jax.

Genre: Romance

My Impression:  This book got 3 stars because it was an entertaining lightweight read.  I read it in basically 1 sitting without getting bored with it but other than that I'm pretty apathetic about it.  Allie is likable even though she's almost painfully naive and the most indecisive character I've come across in awhile.  Brad is a jerk and a total momma's boy.  Sylvia is awful.  Michael is to be honest kind of annoying.  Jax is interesting and romantic.  That's about all the character development there is with the exception of Allie's mother, Barbara, who changes a little bit from her basic stock character of hippy activist.  There's nothing particularly memorable about this book.  I finished it last night and am already struggling to remember parts of it.  I read it after watching HBO's True Detective so Jax kind of looks like Matthew McConaughey and I watched The Bachelor (no judging!) yesterday morning so Allie looks like Kat and Brad looks like Juan Pab whatever.  That's my most immediate thought about the book if that gives you any idea of the substance or lack there of.  The ending was cute.  I wish everyone well but do I really care?  Not really.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: No not without glowing recommendations from a reader I trust.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  If this is in one of those take a book bookshelves in a hotel or condo than sure.  If it's free or really cheap right before a car trip or plane ride than it's not a bad way to spend a few hours.  Otherwise, no not worth searching out.

No comments:

Post a Comment