Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Secrets Underground - Review


Secrets Underground by Elizabeth MacLeod

Rating: 4 Stars

Description:  This is a detailed look at North American history through what's left buried underground.  From shipwrecks in San Francisco to Prohibition era tunnels in Saskatchewan this book covers both the well known and unknown stories as to what lies beneath our feet.  There is an in-depth look at the history that surrounds each item and discusses similar stories all through North America.

Genre: Children's Non-Fiction

My Impression:  Wow, this book is detailed!  There are sidebars and captions and sidebars to the sidebar.  Everything is well photographed and the author does a fantastic job of putting history in context.  This is not a book you pick up and breeze through.  This is one you study and discuss, look through again and then do extra research on something you read about.  The would be wonderful for a child in middle to late elementary school as well as anyone else who is interested in history.  I definitely look forward to reading it again in an actual hard copy as my main flaw with it was I didn't think it translated well to e-book format.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes.  I'm actually planning on buying a paper copy.  I think it will be a lot of fun for any of us to page through.

No comments:

Post a Comment