Monday, February 10, 2014

Books I Haven't Read but Should - Children's/YA edition

This past weekend didn't lend to much reading between baby showers (not for me), dog shows (as a spectator), binge watching The Office (LOVED the ending!) and just feeling a rundown.  So instead of a review I'm making a list because I love lists almost as much as I love reading.  Today's list is the books I know I should read but for whatever reason haven't.  I'm linking up with the Literary Love Linkup because this incorporates one of my most loved genres - Children's books - with one of my most loved things to do - make lists about books!

1.  Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
I think I have a copy of this on my Kindle but I've never read it.  In fact other than the movies my only exposure to this was in 4th grade when we deconstructed the "Jabberwoky" poem and replaced the nonsense words with real words.  Way to take the fun out of it now that I think about it.

2.  At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald
This was my grandmother's favorite book when she was a child and she actually got me a copy but for no other reason than basic contrariness I refused to read it.  I actually just got it on Kindle when I looked it up a few minutes ago so at some point I will be fixing that.

3.  Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Before the Tornado was born I used to substitute teach a bit and any time I was in 1st grade I always ended up reading bits of this out loud but that's as far as I got.  I've always avoided this and the movie because I know the ending.

4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
I loved both movies but have never read the book even with Emma and Eleanor were reading Dahl by the truckload.

5. & 6.I have never read anything by John Green or Sarah Dessen.  A fact I know that would make many people gasp in disbelief.

7.  Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
I have seen this book on pretty much every best of or favorites book list of 2013.

I'm sure there's more that for whatever reason have slipped through the cracks.  This is only the children's/YA edition so who knows what I'd find if I started looking at categories like "Classics".  I'm sure there's giant holes in my reading.  There'll be another list tomorrow but that's part of a linkup so not nearly the same thing!

10 comments:

  1. I am impressed with myself. I have read everything but the George MacDonald, but I have read other stuff by him. :) That like never happens. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when that happens! Somehow I missed the whole Children's Literature genre when I was an actual child and have been trying to catch up ever since!

      Delete
  2. Charlotte's Web??? It's a MUST! BTW there's a 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Die list floating around. . . I'm working on reading some of those, but probably not all.

    Thanks for linking up to Literary Love 14!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. Shameful really! I need to hunt down that list though I'm sure I'd be horrified to see what else I'm missing!

      Delete
  3. I've only read Alice in Wonderland from this list, but I think that has to do with a language/culture-barrier thing (I'm Dutch). I did check an internet discussion on a parenting forum (http://www.ouders.nl/forum/algemeen-ouderschap/welke-boeken-zouden-alle-kinderen-gelezen-moeten-hebben) about dutch childrens books everyone should read, and I discovered I had (mostly) :) Astrid Lindgrenn, Tonke Dragt, Paul Biegel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite sure that I've never read any Dutch children's books but it would definitely be fascinating. I know reading classic children's books from the UK is always interesting for me because of the differences in everyday things but I've never thought to read any from other countries. I must correct that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I gasped at Charlotte's Web but truthfully, I don't know who some of these authors are. I'm more of a Judy Blume / Beverly Cleary / Katherine Paterson / L.M. Montgomery kind of reader. Great list, SITS-sister, and you are definitely not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid I knew Charlotte's Web was sad so I avoided it like the plague! I adore Montgomery and still reread her regularly! I'd forgotten about Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary but I'm pretty sure I've read all of them too! Loved them! Haven't read Katherine Paterson but since I love all the other authors I'll definitely have to give her a try!

      Delete
  6. Can I say something controversial?

    I read 'Charlotte's Web' in my childhood and remember liking it okay, now I'm reading it to my three year old and I have the desperate desire to get Wilbur a Xanax and a therapist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! I'm definitely going to have to read it now.

      Delete