Thursday, February 13, 2014

Cider Brook - Review


Cider Brook by Carla Neggers

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Samantha Bennett is a treasure hunter in a family of adventurers.  When she discovers a painting and a manuscript among her late grandfather's things that tie the pirate she is researching to the little town of Knights Bridge, Massachusetts.  Her plan is to find the cider mill in the painting, try and locate the pirate's treasure and put some of her past demons behind her.

Justin Sloan was somewhat annoyed when he discovered a woman passed out in his burning cider mill and suspicious when he discovered the woman's name.  Is Samantha here for the reasons she says she is or is she hiding something.

Genre: Romance

My Impression:  This is my first book by Carla Neggers and the 3rd in the series.  I was a little worried starting a series in the middle but I think this book was strong enough that the series doesn't need to be read in order.  Characters from previous books were a part of the story but weren't instrumental to the development.  I thought the historical element was very interesting and wound nicely through the story.  The setting was well drawn and filled with likable if not perfect people.  I loved that many of the characters weren't perfect.  They made decisions or reacted sometimes based on emotion and later regretted it.  There was the potential to be a big secret which is one of my least favorite plot devices but it was handled well.  My opinion of Samantha and another female character named Loretta changed through out the book as they grew emotionally and I was very impressed by that.  Very rarely do I find characters that are flawed but still likable and understandable.  The story wrapped up a little too quickly and there were some coincidences on top of coincidences.  Justin was definitely the strong silent type ant that could read as cold but I think there was enough depth of character shown that it countered that.  I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of this series and Neggers' other books.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment