Sunday, July 23, 2023

This Week in Reading - July 23


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


The Fatal Folio by Elizabeth Penney - I've enjoyed the first two books in this series and can't wait to read this one.  (Publisher)

Currently:


Reading:
Birder, She Wrote by Donna Andrews
and The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot by Anne Hart

Listening:  'Twas the Knife Before Christmas by Jacqueline Frost

This was a weird week.  There was lots of good.  We went swimming a few times and finished school with enough time for a full two weeks off before the school year starts again.  I got the science curriculum I wanted and a few fun add on and am so excited to start our school year fresh.

On Tuesday the weather got really bad.  We've had a lot of storms this summer which isn't too surprising because pop up storms are a pretty normal thing.  The weird thing is how long the storms linger.  Tuesday was a massive storm.  The weather service has come out and said it was an F0 tornado but I've also heard straight-line winds.  Whatever it was the winds were about 80 mph and it went right over my house and took out more than a dozen trees.  Luckily nothing hit our roof or any other structure and my husband's truck which was in the driveway only received minor damage.  the top of a tree missed it by about a 1/4 of an inch.  Then on Wednesday we discovered that all the power surges had fried our upstairs A/C unit.  Luckily, our downstairs unit is fine so we have moved downstairs until the replacement is installed.  The upstairs temperature is in the 90s but we bought a humidifier to keep the moisture damage to a minimum.  

We've been very lucky but it's been a stressful few days!  Have a great week and happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sorry to hear about the AC! And the storms. that's no fun. Our AC went out and it was SO hot in the house. I can only imagine how it would be down there.

    Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that you lost one of your AC units in the storm. Some of these storms have been no joke. I hope that you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same setup with a unit on each floor but it was our downstairs one which failed. It was during COVID so it took about a month to get a new one. I hope things go more smoothly for you.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your a/c! From what I know about hurricanes, 80 mph winds is an F1, not an F0.

    The worst Hurricane in Florida was on Labor Day in '35 which had 185 mph winds. I lived here during Andrew in '92 with 165 mph winds and Hurricane Michael in '18 with 160 mph winds. Thankfully I live in a cinder block house which can withstand up to 250 mph winds. Still, any hurricane is scary scary scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ouch. Wind is awful, we had one day of it too, but not as bad as that. It can be very scary and when it fries things doubly worse. Looks like some good cozy reading going on. Enjoy the two weeks off schooling you will need it even though you are excited about what's in store next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about the a/c, but I'm glad that you have the downstairs one working. Everyone is having such hot and humid weather lately. Hope things calm down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those storms sound scary and they obviously packed a wallop. Sorry to hear about the AC but at least there was no structural damage to the house. Hope the AC can be replaced soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I'm glad you were spared any major damage! I hope this was your last major storm of the summer. 😯

    I'm happy you were able to get the science curriculum you wanted. 🔬

    I hope you had a great week. I'm a lot behind on my blog commenting. 😊

    ReplyDelete