Friday, July 28, 2023

Friday Fives - Five Short Reviews For Recent Reads

 
I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  With Love From London by Sarah Jio - This has been on my TBR since it came out and it did not disappoint.  Valentina is at loose ends when her husband leaves her only to receive a call from London notifying her of her long estranged mother's death and telling her that she is the sole benefactors of her mother's estate which includes a bookshop.  As Valentina tries to decide what to do with a failing bookstore and gets to know her mother through the people and things she left behind Valentina discovers what she really wants in life.  This was a sweet (without being over the top)story with lovely characters and a fantastic setting.  It's been awhile since I read anything by this author but I will definitely be reading more from her.  My Rating Really Liked It  (4 Stars)


2.  The Body in the Wetlands by Judi Lynn - This is the second mystery in a cozy series involving houseflipper Jazzy, her boyfriend Ansel and an assortment of cousins and other family members who have various levels of handiness.  The mystery was interesting enough.  While renovating a house Jazzy and her crew learn about a missing adult and shortly after an elderly man goes missing while walking his dog (dog is fine and alerts Jazzy there's a problem).  I had a guess of who was the bad guy but was never fully sure until the very end.  What kept this book from being a winner for me was the fact that I just didn't like Jazzy very much.  She's kind of judgey especially of the woman around her and while she's an incredibly capable house flipper she doesn't have much common sense.  As well I found it a bit bizarre that the lead detective has Jazzy go along with pretty much every interview - even of the suspects when she hasn't met them and there isn't really a reason.  I'm willing to suspend quite a lot of belief with a cozy but this seemed a bit too far.  I enjoyed this while listening to it but it isn't one that will stick with me and I don't see me continuing with the series.  My Rating: Liked It (3 Stars)


3.  The Cuban Heiress by Chanel Cleeton - Cleeton has been on my radar for years and when this book involving an actual seagoing tragedy came out I couldn't resist and I so enjoyed it!  There are two women on board the SS Morro Castle and both have mysterious motives - but motives that definitely seem a bit nefarious.  I was caught up in the glamourous clothes and setting of the book and loved that the dark underside was always lurking in the shadows of the book.  This book pulled me in from the first page and I enjoyed it from start to finish.  My only problem was that I wanted a bit more of the story.  I really wanted to know more about Raymond and more about just what happened on the SS Morro Castle.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


4.  The Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff - I picked this book up on a bit of a whim.  I hadn't heard of it or the author but I love vintage clothes so I figured I'd give it a try.  I'm so glad I did!  I absolutely loved this book.  The description of the clothes were stunning and had me looking up pictures.  I really enjoyed getting to know Phoebe as she comes to terms with the death of her best friend Emma, gets her vintage clothing store off the ground, and gets to know Therese Bell and learns the story of the child's blue coat in Mrs. Bell's closet.  I was pulled in from the start and while I wasn't sure I would like Phoebe at first I ended up being fully invested in her life and this book.  The ending was a bit tied with a bow but I loved these characters so much I didn't my mind.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


5.  The Beach House by Jane Green - This was another book I picked up on a whim.  I had DNF'd my previous audio book and just grabbed this one because it was on my library wish list and available now.  I ended up SO enjoying it.  There are essentially 4 storylines all coming together at Nan's house in Nantucket and all involving family and relationships.  I really liked all the characters and enjoyed their stories.  My only real flaw was how Jess's (the teenage daughter of a newly divorced couple) behavior was treated and how dismissive her father especially was about therapy.  The girl clearly needed some help.  The ending is a bit trite and might not be a winner for those that don't like things tied neatly in a bow but I found it a delightful bit of escapist reading that I enjoyed from beginning to end.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)

7 comments:

  1. Jane Green is always a good choice for a summer read. The Sarah Jio book sounds good, too... I haven't read her in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice variety with these five books. I'd probably enjoy all of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound good. I like Jane Green's books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Sarah Jio book and looks like you enjoyed the others so a good strike. I haven't read this Jane Green book, I tend to either love her books or to be meh about them. Never sure what I am going to get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Beach House sounds like it was the perfect summer read. 🏖

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that these all worked for you! I used to read a ton of Jane Green's books but I am not sure if I have read The Beach House. I really enjoy Cleeton's books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read everything by Jane Green but slowly fell away from her when her writing started to shift more toward women's fiction. For some reason they didn't have the same feel for me. I did enjoy The Beach House, though.

    ReplyDelete