Saturday, July 29, 2023

Reading Books I'm Excited to Read - The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot

Goodreads:   The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot by Anne Hart

Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)
Source:   Publisher

Description:  ‘My name is Hercule Poirot and I am probably the greatest detective in the world.'

The dapper, moustache-twirling little Belgian with the egg-shaped head, curious mannerisms and inordinate respect for his own 'little grey cells' has solved some of the most puzzling crimes of the century. Yet despite being familiar to millions, Poirot himself has remained an enigma – until now.

From his first appearance in 1920 to his last in 1975, from country house drawing rooms to opium dens in Limehouse, from Mayfair to the Mediterranean, Anne Hart stalks the legendary sleuth, unveiling the mysteries that surround him. Sifting through 33 novels and 56 short stories, she examines his origins, tastes, relationships and peculiarities, revealing a character as fascinating as the books themselves.

Genre: Fiction 

Why I Picked This Book:  Poirot is one of my favorite fictional characters and I really enjoyed the similar book on Miss Marple.

My Impression: I can't imagine all the hours of research and reading  and notetaking went into the creation of this book.   Christie wrote a LOT of Hercule Poirot books and short stories and Hart went through each one pulling out every mention of his personal life and past.  It's fascinating to see all the information put together.   Not only does she look at Poirot but she also includes a detailed chapter on Captain Hastings which I found especially interesting.

This is a book for Poirot fans.  It doesn't read like a novel or even a straight forward biography.  Instead the book tackles different aspects of Poirot's life - past and present - and compiles it into a full profile.  It's a wonderful chapter a night read and it has me wanting to dive back into a massive reread of all of the Poirot books so I can revisit the man himself.

If you are a Christie fan I highly recommend this book and Hart's book about Miss Marple as well.  They are excellent additions to my Agatha Christie library.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  I would!  If Hart wrote a similar book about another favorite character I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you already know and love Poirot absolutely!  If you are new to his mysteries this might be a bit dry.

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing book. That would appeal to me and like you, if Hart wrote another book about a favorite character I would like it. Which character would I choose? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hercule Poirot. I've been working my way through all of Christie's books, and the ones with Poirot in them are some of my favorites. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer Miss Marple but I have enjoy the Poirot books too.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't read it but I can see how marvellous it would be for a reader who really enjoys Hercule Poirot. I'd welcome a book like this about a favourite character for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting concept for a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to read this one, and the Miss Marple biography as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good. I love Hercule Poirot.

    ReplyDelete