Saturday, July 15, 2023

Mrs. Pollifax Pursued - Mystery REview

Goodreads:  Mrs. Pollifax Pursued (Mrs. Pollifax #11) by Dorothy Gilman

Rating: Really Liked It! (4 Stars)
Source:   Library

Description:  The last thing Mrs. Pollifax expects to find in her closet is a young woman hiding. Kadi Hopkirk insists that that she’s being pursued by two men in a van. Under the cover of darkness, Mrs. P. tries to drive Kadi home to Manhattan, only to have a dark green sedan give them a run for their money and, Mrs. P. begins to suspect, their lives.

Finally Kadi shares the startling truth: her friend, Sammy, is the son of the assassinated president of an African country, and unbeknownst to the young man’s bodyguard, he passed her something important during a recent meeting. Ever resourceful, Mrs. P. puts in a call for help to her CIA colleague, Carstairs, who installs them in a safe house—at a carnival! Before Mrs. P. knows it, a dash to safety expands into an assignment that leads to hair-trigger violence in exotic places…

Genre:  Mystery 

Why I Picked This Book:   I'm reading through the Mrs. Pollifax series and this was the next book in the series.

My Impression:   I always enjoy catching up with Mrs. Pollifax and this was an especially fun read.  The usual setup for this series is Mrs. Pollifax being sent into some kind of situation that starts out looking fairly simple but than quickly goes awry.   In this book Mrs. Pollifax is going about her usual day gardening and running errands when she realizes something is not as it seems.

A young woman, Kadi Hopkirk, stumbled into her house while on the run from assailants with unknown motives and has been hiding out for several days.  Mrs. Pollifax has never one to sit idle and soon is jumping into the fray and going on the run with Kadi as they try to work out just what is going on.  This was completely unrealistic but very fun.  I really enjoyed that Carstairs takes a more active role in this book and he is as in the dark as Emily as they try to figure out just what is going on.  

The book ends with setup for the next book which I'm looking forward to reading.  The Mrs. Pollifax books require a pretty solid suspension of belief but they never fail to entertain.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I'm looking forward to the next book though will be sad to see this series end.

Would I Recommend this Book?  Of course though I do recommend starting with an earlier book as there are aspects of this book that could be confusing without earlier explanations.

4 comments:

  1. I have to see if my library has this series. It sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I love Mrs. Pollifax.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you have to suspend belief it never worries me if the story is fun and engaging and sounds like this was perfectly so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a series that I would probably enjoy. I am glad that this was a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete