Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Things That Are Keeping Me From Reading


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by 
That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is the Thing That Get in the Way of Reading.  I'm sure there are a number of different ways to take this but I'm taking this very literally and focusing on the things I'm doing instead of reading.


1.  Dog Training - In the past year and a half I've really gotten into dog training.  Not only is there working with my dog in classes but I also am an assistant instructor for several classes and am studying to begin getting certain training certifications.  I have absolutely loved all aspects of this but it does take a lot of time.

2.  Homeschooling - Before the pandemic and leukemia we had started homeschooling my then 9 year old.  With  2 and a half years of cancer treatment behind us homeschooling has now started focusing on getting caught up and getting re-energized about schooling.

3.  Mindless Internet Scrolling - While I love most of the things on this list this is one I really am trying to cut down on and eventually get rid of completely.  Between mindlessly scrolling social media or shopping sites I am wasting way too much time without getting any enjoyment out of it.

4.  Cooking - I really love to cook and bake.  I had gotten away with it for awhile and have been really enjoying finding my way again - especially when it comes to baking.  And of course my family does prefer to eat dinner and we are trying to eat out a lot less.

5.  YouTube Watching - I don't really watch much TV anymore but I watch a lot of YouTube.  There are so many fantastic channels covering a wide range of topics between beauty, true crime, food, history, homeschooling and anything else I randomly get interested in that I can always find something to watch.


6.  Blogging - I love blogging and visiting my blogger friends' sites but even though I'm talking and reading about books it does take up time that I could be reading.

7.  Researching Random Rabbit Holes - I do this pretty regularly.  Something will catch my attention and I'll look something up and then two hours later I've learned everything from migration patterns of a certain bird to the downfall of the Romanian monarchy.

8.  Napping -  For the last few months it has really felt like the last few years are seriously catching up with me and I've had some serious fatigue.  I've been sneaking in naps when I can.

9.  Laundry - I don't know how on earth we go through so much laundry but it feels like I'm doing something involving laundry continuously.  The good thing is I can combine sorting, folding and putting up with either YouTube watching or an audiobook.

10. Random Home Projects - This is kind of like the research rabbit holes but usually with organization projects.  I'll go to put something up and then suddenly be reorganizing the linen closet or a bookshelf or who knows what else.

What keeps you from reading?

11 comments:

  1. There are some good reasons on your list, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, you are my sister with this list!!! Doug and I are constantly telling each other - "well I am chasing rabbits again" and we never get done what I went on my tablet to do.

    I briefly considered starting up my book blog again because I am making lists for book challenges. So....while I am making a list of books I want to read, I'm not reading, because I am making lists!!! And for what it's worth, I am not starting up again with two blogs. Too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... all of that will keep you from reading. I keep nodding off early at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are very real things that get in the way of reading. I've been watching You Tube, too. I mostly watch travel blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes I classify the Internet scrolling with Youtube together. Of course, I do the blogging, cooking, rabbit holes and home projects. I'm with Kimberly on dropping off at night.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine are FB, drafting blog posts, reading blogs/commenting, laundry, cooking, my animals, cleaning and tv.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to so many of these! Blogging and Instagram take up a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely identify with them all, that jolly scrolling drives me up the wall but I still do it. And you deserve those naps, take them, reading will wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought about it as taking up reading time, but---you are right---blogging is something I do a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to go off social media altogether, honestly, but I do love being able to keep up with family and friends so easily. It's the drama and the mindless scrolling that I can do without!

    Happy TTT (on a Friday)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Except for the mindless scrolling these are all good reasons. 🤗

    ReplyDelete