Friday, May 12, 2023

Friday Fives - Five Books On My TBR That Dig Into the Past


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.   This month I'm focusing on my favorite things and one of my favorite things in books are stories where a character digs into the past.  Here are 5 books on my TBR where the character does just that.


1.  The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White - I just finished a book by these three and enjoyed it.  This one involves looking into a passenger on the Lusitania so I'm looking forward to it.


2.  Morning Glory by Sarah Jio - The main character discovers a trunk belonging to a previous owner.  Plus, I've really enjoyed other books by this author.


3.  The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Fiona Davis - I love this author and this book not only involves a character looking into the past but takes place in a library.


4.  The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell - I love Lisa Jewell's books and this story of adult children making sense of their own past while revisiting the house they lived in as children sounds interesting.  


5.  The London House by Katherine Reay - A woman goes back to her family's home to uncover the truth about a scandal involving her great-aunt in the 1930s.  

What are your favorite books that dig into the past?

8 comments:

  1. The Lisa Jewell book is the only one I've read and that particular one is one of my favorites by her. The London House intrigues me so will go look at that one on Goodreads.

    Favorties for me offhand would be two of Rosamunde Pilcher books - The Shell Seekers and Coming Home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these look so good. I definitely want to read The Lions of Fifth Avenue. Some of my favorite historical fiction novels are The Last Bookshop in London, Guests of the Emperor, and Nothing Short of Wondrous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of these books, Katherine. I don't read enough - but if I had the choice, it would be The London House. And my recommendation? A Half-Forgotten Song set in the heart of the Dorset countryside, not all that far from the small town where I grew up about an unloved girl and a talented artist by Katherine Webb. It's years ago that I read this book, but its beauty and gripping tale still stays with me:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Andrea Penrose books and the Sebastian St. Cyr books by CS Harris.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all sound so good and are on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Davis's novel. All of these sound wonderful! I need more time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well these all certainly fit the bill. I like the sound of the Katherine Reay book, that draws me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many of Susanna Kearsley's books fit this category! I particularly love The Winter Sea and The Firebird, both of which are dual-timeline books where characters in the present are digging into the past -- a writer in the first case, and a psychic art expert in the second.

    ReplyDelete