Saturday, May 13, 2023

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon - Middle Grade Review

Goodreads:  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Rating:  Really Liked It! (4 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description:  The Tootings are stuck in 1966! Somebody’s stolen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and left them behind. But that’s not their biggest problem. Their biggest problem is that Little Harry’s been kidnapped by whoever stole their magical car. There’s only one solution: the Tootings must find the Potts — the family that originally built Chitty. Sharing their combined knowledge of how Chitty works, the families may stand a chance of rescuing Little Harry and finding the most brilliant car in the world. But a fiendish criminal has different plans, ones that involve flying Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to the moon and putting an explosive scheme into action.


Genre:  Middle Grade Fiction

Why I Picked This Book:  I have loved the previous 3 books and David Tennant reads the audio and that alone makes this worth listening to!

My Impression:  This book was absolutely bonkers.  It starts off just where the previous book left off with the Tooting family stuck in 1966 and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang disappearing into the future.  I can't begin to describe all the madness that takes place.  Queen Elizabeth II shows up, cars are crushed into cubes, Global landmarks start flying around, are shrunk, and/or disappear.  There's time travel and all the conundrums that that entails.  Oh and there's space flight but not in the traditional ways.

I loved the combination of the Tootings and the Potts family. Things are not going well but Mr. Tooting can't help but keep his upbeat attitude and Lucy Tooting can't help but predict doom and gloom for them all.   I don't want to say too much about all that happens because I did enjoy some of the unexpectedness of the story.  

I highly recommend going the audio route if you can get the audio books narrated by David Tennant.   As well, this series is best read in order as the stories build on each other.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I would though I'm sad to see that this is the last book in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang series.

Would I Recommend this Book? If you enjoy middle grade adventures I'd definitely recommend this series and if you listen to audiobooks you must try David Tennant's narration.

5 comments:

  1. Would you believe I've never seen the movie much less read the books? I think after seeing this post I will at least watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Tennant could read a recipe for me and I'd love it! I am with Vicki, have never read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the movie, and these books sound very entertaining, so I think I should read them. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wild ride, I can imagine a class of children listening to this with glee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie and the original book, but I've never read any of the sequels. This does sound bonkers, but in a totally delightful way.

    ReplyDelete