Saturday, May 20, 2023

Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief - Mystery Review

Goodreads:  Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief (Mrs. Pollifax #10) by Dorothy Gilman

Rating:  Really Liked It! (4 Stars)
Source:   Library

Description:  The assignment is a snap: Mrs. Pollifax just has to shoot some pictures at a quiet funeral outside Washington and take them to Sicily, where her old friend Farrell — a former CIA agent turned art dealer — anxiously awaits them.

But like all Mrs. P's assignments, so ostensibly suitable for the CIA's favorite garden club member, this one quickly turns lethal. Her welcoming committee in Palermo includes a most unlikely CIA agent and several unseen enemies. Unfriendly eyes also observe Mrs. P's rendezvous with Farrell in a secluded mountain village and weapons are soon displayed. With mysterious forces hot after them, she and Farrell scurry for safety to a fortified country villa, where the bizarre chatelaine, once a star on Madison Avenue, is almost as unnerving as the dangers she's protecting them from.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:   This was the next book in the Mrs. Pollifax series and I'm trying to read them all in order.  

My Impression:  As always Mrs. Pollifax is in an adventure that quickly spirals out of control.  She's met up with her old friend Farrell who she hasn't seen since her adventure in Zambia that spiraled out of control.  She also meets up with a new agent Kate Rossiter as they go dashing up mountains and down mountains and escaping assassins.  All the while Carstairs and Bishop are back in D.C. wringing their hands and wondering just what is happening now. 

This is all in a regular day's work for Mrs. Pollifax though I must admit this wasn't my favorite book in the series.  Mrs. Pollifax and the other agents are holed up in an Italian villa trying to figure out what is going on.  What I didn't particularly care for was Mrs. Pollifax spends a good time essentially wringing her hands and worrying.  It didn't seem quite like her practical unflappable self.  

While this wasn't my favorite in the series I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in Mrs. Pollifax's world. 

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  I love this series and this author.

Would I Recommend this Book?  Absolutely!  This isn't the one I would necessarily recommend starting with but this series is bunches of fun if you can suspend belief a bit!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like an enjoyable series, where there are plenty of setting changes. Though I agree - it can be disconcerting when a normally unflappable heroine starts to flap... Thank you for a great review, Katherine:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read all the Mrs. Pollifax books and several I've read many times. I do have my favorites. The one you mentioned with Farrell in Zambia is one of them. These ought to have a re-birth these days with all the 'senior' sleuths appearing out there. Sadly, Dorothy Gilman passed away about 10 years ago or so. Ah well. That's what makes re-reading fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mrs. Pollifax! I've read them all.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are continuing to enjoy this series, Katherine! I don't think I've read any of the books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really have to try this series. It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like they all did a bit of hand wringing but I guess there was good cause!!

    ReplyDelete