Friday, May 26, 2023

Friday Fives - Five Short Reviews For Books I've Read Recently


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  The Library Book by Susan Orlean - This is a nonfiction book loosely about the Los Angeles Library fire in the late 1980s.  Along with looking into the devastating fire the author discusses the institution of the library itself, its origins and how libraries are changing with the times, and a huge collection of other subjects.  At first I wanted more of a true crime novel regarding the fire and it definitely isn't that but I ended up really enjoying this look at libraries and the people who run them.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


2.  The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling - This was a cute witchy fiction about what happens when you mix a broken heart, vodka and a curse.  What seems like an immature ill thought out blip when Vivi is 19 ends up going horribly wrong when Rhys (the object of the drunken curse) shows back up after 10 years.  Mayhem and hijinks ensue with some laugh out loud moments and some frantic problem solving.  There are a number of spicy scenes which I could have done without as I really enjoyed other aspects of Vivi and Rhys's relationship much more.  Overall though this was a fun light and fluffy read.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


3.  The Littlest Library by Poppy Alexander - Well this was just lovely.  Jess has had a bit of a hard time.  She lost her beloved grandmother, Mimi, who was mother, father and best friend all in one and she's just lost her job as a librarian.  Taking a chance both in memory of Mimi and with the encouragement over Zoom from her friend Hannah, Jess ends up in a little English village buying a cottage that just happens to involve turning the red phone box in front of her house into something.  I loved watching Jess become part of the village as she slowly finds her place and her new family.  The book mentions are delightful and Jess's enthusiasm for reading radiates from the page.  This was a wonderful read from beginning to end.  My Rating: Loved It (5 Stars)


4.  On Spine of Death by Tamara Berry - I loved the first book in this series about thriller writer Tess and her teenage daughter Gertie and couldn't wait to see what they were up to in the second book.  And wow were they busy!  Bodies are found under the floor of Tess's grandfather's old hardware store that she is turning into a bookstore which opens up multiple cold cases including one that hits close to home for the Police Chief.  The book starts off with quite a bang and the pace keeps going with mystery progress and other hijinks which kept me pulled in and entertained.  I can't wait to read the next book in the series!  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


5.  The Lady Has a Past by Amanda Quick - I love this series!  We met Lyra in the previous book as the younger sister of the main character and in this book the focus is on her.  Lyra is a fun character.   She has recently come to a turning point where she realized that what she thought she wanted her whole life may not be what she wants.  As well, she is working as an apprentice Private Investigator to Raina Kirk.  Raina has long been a side character in this series and I really enjoyed seeing a more vulnerable side to her in this story.   The plot was fast paced and entertaining and kept me holding my breath and wondering just what was going on.  It was definitely fun to see how everything played out.  While this book is technically part of a series it is really only loosely connected to previous books and can easily be read as a stand alone.  I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in the series.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)

8 comments:

  1. I'm very much looking forward to reading The Littlest Library. Our library still has it as an "on order" status so I'm not sure what my place in line is for it. Going to pick up the Kaye Morton book tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am LOVING the Berry series. It makes me laugh every time! I also want to read THE LITTLEST LIBRARY. It sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked The Littlest Library and On Spine of Death, too! They were both fun reads imo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Littlest Library. May read The Library Book soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all sound good. I enjoyed The Littlest Library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just eyeing my copy of The Library Book and wondering if it should be my next nonfiction read. I am glad you liked it, Katherine. It is good to know it wasn't more of a true crime book--I would have expected that as well. I really enjoyed The Ex Hex. The other two both sound good and I will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to add The Library Book to my Goodreads. 📘

    Is there any romance in The Littlest Library? If there is not, I think I would like it! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that looks like a 5 book win in terms of good reading. I think I need to put The Littlest Library into my TBR wish list.

    ReplyDelete