Sunday, May 21, 2023

This Week in Reading - May 21

 


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


Whispers at Dusk by Heather Graham - This apparently the first book in an off shoot of the Krewe of Hunters series involving an International group of crime solvers.  I'm very excited! (Publisher)

Songs of Wine and Murder by Lynn Cahoon - This is the newest book in the Tourist Trap series and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next in Jill and Greg's lives. (Publisher)

Midnight at the Christmas Bookshop by Jenny Colgan - I adored The Christmas Bookshop and am so excited to revisit Carmen and McCredie's Bookshop.  (Publisher)

Currently:


Reading Into the Darkness by Barbara Michaels and Murder off the Books by Tamara Berry

Listening:  Something Old, Something New by Amy Clipston

It's been a weird week but not a bad one.  Jason got home after being out of town for the previous 6 weeks which was fantastic but there's always some adjustment for both of us as he is very neat and I am not!  And I have to get used to cooking again.  But it's absolutely wonderful to have him home.

We are working hard getting Will caught up school-wise.  Our state requires a certain number of school days for homeschoolers between August 1 and July 31 and we will be sliding into with very little wiggle room.  I'm looking forward to next school year when cancer and side effects don't have to be considerations.  

Dog training has been going really well.  The classes I teach have started back up and it's so fun to have a new group of dogs to get to know.  Rover's classes are going really well and we are making real progress in Rally and Scent Work but still have a long way to go with Agility.  I've also started working with a friend on training together.  She has a gorgeous German Shepard who is beautifully behaved so Rover and I have a lot to learn.  That said while we were working on some commands at the park the other day a little girl came running up to him and he maintained his focus on me while only getting a little distracted so that's a HUGE win especially considering he's only 18 months old and in Golden Retriever land he's definitely still a puppy (though a big one at 70+ pounds).  

That's about it for my week.  How was yours?  

Have a great week and happy reading!

19 comments:

  1. The graham book sounds fun and so does Cahoon's. And congrats on the dog training, that's awesome!

    That is cool that your cousin went to MSU. The girls love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand why there are requirements on school days (and I say that as a former home school kid), but I also see how that can cause issues in cases like yours. Hope you don't have any issues getting those days in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whispers at Dusk sounds really intriguing. Good luck with the home schooling schedule! In the mean time have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your books this week!! I love Jenny Colgan, I love Barbara Michaels, and I used to read the Krewe series like crazy. I need to pick it up again!

    Will the state give you any grace on the days needed since Will was going through so much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dog training must be so rewarding and fun too. You are amazing with the home schooling, I don't think I could be so organized. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I might have quickly went to Netgalley and requested that Graham book, so fingers crossed...lol. I am currently rereading Krewe of Hunters with a friend even though I am only up to 17 on my own, it's been fun going back. :)

    Have a great week and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much fun it must be to be a dog trainer, and probably challenging at times too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lynn Cahoon's Tourist Trap series, but I've fallen a few books behinds. It's another series I have to catch up with. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are enjoying the dog training classes so much - having had labradors in the past, I think Rover staying focused on you at his age is a HUGE win. They tend to be very scatty until they reach 2ish when they suddenly settle down. I hope you manage to get those school days slotted in for Will and that the coming week is a good one, Katherine:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're reading my favorite Barbara Michaels book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a great week to me. It's going to be some work with cooking and homeschooling and the dog training classes but I think you'll set some priorities and make it work. When I'm doing so many projects, I had to simplify my meal plans and not make as many of the complex dishes. Some of this won't be forever, or will be eased with the new school year. You can do it!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear about your week and glad your husband is home and Will's school is winding up. Good luck with that. The puppy training sounds fun. I see you are reading Into the Darkness by Barbara Michaels. It has been eons since I last read that one. I keep thinking I ought use your reading as an inspiration and go back and re-read her books, especially my favorites. Maybe I will. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read those incoming books! I haven't read Heather Graham and if its an offshoot and so kind of new series would be good to try. And of course no doubt about Jenny Colgan. Sounds like Rover is doing so well, awesome. You'd think the state would give leeway when Will has been ill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad your husband is home after a long time away, and I hope the wrap up of the school year goes smoothly. My niece was telling me that when she trained her dog (who is the best behaved dog I've ever seen) she had to be willing to (literally) bit her dog's ear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the catching up with school work goes smoothly and you manage to get the minimum number of days in. It's fun to see the Barbara Michaels book. I read several by her many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The new Graham book looks like fun! And it sounds like you and Rover are both doing really well with the training. I hope that the rest of Will's school year goes well. It's too bad the state isn't more accommodating in terms of "days in school" when it comes to youngsters who are dealing with a significant health issue. But I'm sure you'll be able to get enough days in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always fun to have a friend to train with. A gold star for Rover not getting totally distracted by the girl. Especially with her running! 🐕✨

    Can Will log on to school on the weekends? You should connect with the state and see if they have any considerations for serious illnesses, like an extension? 🤔

    I hope you had a greatstart to your week. ☀

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Katherine, I'm sure I've missed plenty on your blog these last months but, I can see agin -AMEN . I finally did a blog post with an update and some summer picks; have a good summer.https://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2023/05/its-been-while-bit-of-life-and-books.html

    ReplyDelete