Friday, August 23, 2019

Friday Fives - Five Pet Peeves

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  Since lately I've been heavy on the bookish lists I thought I'd do a not so bookish list.  This week I'm thinking about pet peeves - I'm apparently feeling a little cranky!


1.  Carts left out in the parking lot - This drives me CRAZY especially since I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Publix which always has people there to take your cart out for you.  These are people who tell the bagger to not take the cart out and then leave them in a space instead of walking the 5 feet to put the cart in the space.  One time I saw someone actually push a cart into a handicapped space (the cart pusher was not in a handicapped space) and then drove off.

2.  2 cars going about the same speed in both the left and right lane - I'd go into detail about this but the rant would be far too long and I have a feeling I'm not the only person that this drives crazy.  Your rant is my rant here.


3.  When the WiFi goes out when I'm in a hurry - I typically have either a YouTube video or Netflix or Hulu streaming on my iPad while I'm getting ready and when I lose connection it drives me crazy and this only happens when I'm in a hurry.  I get seriously angry and have to stop myself from rebooting routers and whatnot.  It's not particularly rational.

4.  SpongeBob SquarePants -  I'm not sure if an entire cartoon character can be a pet peeve but everything about this character is nails on a chalkboard.  No idea why but I can't stand anything about him.

5.  When People say "Must be nice" - I discovered this pet peeve after I joined a mom's group when the Tornado was a baby.  Most of the women were great but there were a few who I finally started calling the "Must be nices".  They were they type that if you were complaining about something they'd always kind of smirk and say "Must be nice to only have one toddler pitching a fit on the floor in the grocery store.  I have 17 under the age of 4 and they ALL did that at the same time." or "Must be nice to have your husband away for work for a month.  My husband is gone for 2 months and I have to walk across nails every day to care for my family." Or "Must be nice to just be able to pick up fast food when you've been super sick and are exhausted.  I can only feed my family made from scratch everything and they won't even eat fast food." Obviously, these are exaggerations (except that last one) but you get that drift.  Hard is hard.  It's not a competition.  And if it's something that someone is struggling with or just wants to vent about it it's still hard for them at that moment.

What are your pet peeves?

10 comments:

  1. The first two I certainly agree with! I hate bad manners and rudeness when I force myself to go out shopping! The must be nicers would really drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on one and two. Number 5 would drive me crazy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Some of these drive me crazy, some not so much. On the carts - now that I don't have little kids, I always put mine back. When I was grocery shopping with young kids, I wouldn't always. Especially if it meant leaving my little ones in a hot or unsecured car to walk a long way for a cart return. Now, if someone is paid to do the cart return for you, that's another story ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, it's like you were in the car with me this morning on my drive into work! I merge onto I-10 and I'm behind the slowest car ever. Then a truck comes ambling up and basically stays right next to the slow guy. No one can move until it shifts to three lanes!!

    Yeah, the must-be-nice comments get old. I will retire soon and someone about 20 years younger than me says, Must be nice. Yeah, it actually is nice that i can retire after working this one job 32 years! Isn't that what we are all going for here?!

    Ok, I vented....thanks for this post!!

    Oh, I didn't know you had Publix where you are. I like Publix, we have them all over the Tallahassee area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my pet peeves is people who drive down the road with the right half of their cars actually on the shoulder of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad someone else LOATHES Spongebob Squarepants - what a nasty charmless show. And those 'must be nicers...' it's always so depressing when women think that somehow the struggle to bring up children, run a home and work has to be a competition. And it isn't...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the carts. That is aggravating. And the "must be nice", yeah, soooo annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of grocery stores... I hate cashiers who get all rolly-eyed when we hand them our stack of reusable totes. They will be losing their minds when one use plastic store bags are banned next March. Ha ha. 😏


    And I just love the "must be nice" to only have one child (for whatever the purpose is at the moment) no one told them to have several children. 😛

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cart thing is a big pet peeve of mine. Ppl are so rude and lazy. I sometimes fix the carts if I'm near a stray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes to carts being left out in the parking lot where they don't belong. I hate that! And I hate it when the WiFi goes out when I'm in a hurry too. I don't like the "must be nice" crowd either. I would add the one-uppers to that mix too. Whether sharing something happy or sad or in between, they always have it better or worse . . . I don't mind mutual sharing of stories, but there's a definite difference in tone and you can tell when someone is playing the one-up game.

    ReplyDelete