Friday, August 16, 2019

Friday Fives - Five Books I Want My 9 Year Old to Read This Year

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  This week is a little different.  For various reasons we are kicking around the idea of pulling our 9 year old out of school and switching to a more hybrid program - a mix of classroom time, online classes, and traditional homeschool.  There are some subjects that I don't feel confident teaching but reading is not one of them.  Here are 5 books I would put on his reading list (and might if we switch over at the end of the semester).


1.  The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan - Not only is this an action packed read but it would be perfect to pair with an online mythology course that is offered.


2.  Guts and Glory: The American Revolution by Ben Thompson - Not only would this dovetail with American history but it'd be perfect pre-reading before a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia which I'm in the process of planning.


3.  Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein - I've been wanting to read this for awhile so it seems like it'd be fun to read together.  Plus, anything that makes a library seem magical is always a good thing.


4.  The 39 Clues Series by Rick Riordan and other authors - I've had this series recommended a number of times and it sounds interesting and hopefully would pull him in and keep him reading.


5.  Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet - This book is recommended to those who like puzzles and mysteries which he does.  I also love that this book talks about actual art but in a fun way.  Might be good for an early art history lesson. 

What would you put on your reading list if you were teaching reading?

5 comments:

  1. I think more and more people are doing that, switching to hybrid programs or online school or whatever. Good luck with it if you do! I think Riordan's Lightning thief would be fabulous with a mythology course. The 39 Clues looks fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Taking furious notes for possible book ideas for my daughter.*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick Riordan is one fantastic author. Hope he enjoys them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up Chasing Vermeer and Mr. Lemoncello's Library while thrifting recently!
    I also kind of love the idea of hybrid home/schooling! These are great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Vermeer book looks great! 👍✨

    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and probably Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban. They didn't start getting dark until Goblet of Fire, but Baz and I read them together Half-Blood Prince came out. It's a lot harder to figure out when to let them start reading now because they are all out. ⚡

    Baz also loved the Redwall series, Captain Underpants, and The Pure Dead Magic books. Oh, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books. I was very disappointed that he didn't care for A Wrinkle in Time. 📚

    ReplyDelete