Thursday, July 31, 2014

River Road - Review


River Road by Jayne Ann Krentz

Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Library
Description:  13 years ago Lucy Sheridan was a shy insecure 16 year old who ended up at a party she shouldn't have.  Luckily 19 year old Mason Fletcher rescued her before things got out of hand.  She never went back to Summer River or stayed with her Aunt Sara again.  Now Sara is dead in a car accident that may or may not have been an accident and the events of that long ago night are unraveling.

Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Why I Picked This Book:  I saw this book on the recommended table at my library and it demanded I take it home.

My Impression:
Pro:  I liked the characters and I LOVED that when Lucy voiced her doubts about her aunt's car accident Mason doesn't treat her like she's stupid or try to keep her out of it but agrees with her and accepts that she's going to be part of the investigation even though he doesn't always like it.  I also liked that fact that Mason and Lucy had history so when they became romantically involved it wasn't insta-love.  The mystery itself was interesting and there were some fairly unexpected twists and turns.  I loved Deke and I definitely want to see more of Aaron.  Lucy also has my dream job.  I wasn't aware there was a career path for forensic genealogist but that is now my answer to any dream job questions in the future.  I thought Lucy was intelligent and her research instincts were a useful skill in this mystery.  The fact that Mason had an investigative back ground also explained why they were kept in the loop regarding any police investigations.

Cons:  While it was an enjoyable story and fast paced it was fairly shallow in some ways.  There wasn't a huge amount of character development.  It kind of felt that it was skimming the surface of the story itself.

Overall:  Despite it's minor flaws this was a fun, fast paced read.  While I think I've read some Krentz in the past it was at least 10 years ago so I'm excited to look for more of her books!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, it was a fun romantic suspense.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were forensic genealogists either until I recently read Temptation Bay. What an interesting job! I like Krentz and want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this one and will have to go look for Temptation Bay. I want to know more about this forensic genealogist. I feel like I've been missing out!

      Delete
  2. This does sound good! I am adding it to my wish list. I like what you had to say about Mason. And glad to hear their relationship isn't based on insta-love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice that they acted like rational people. It always drives me nuts in fiction that they don't. It's a quick read but lots of fun.

      Delete
  3. The character development is often a bit light in a Krentz/Castle/Quick mystery, but boy, are they fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are fun and this wasn't a book I really minded the light development. I'll definitely be looking for more of her books in the future!

      Delete
  4. This sounds very good. It makes me remember why I used to love this author. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this one! It was a fun and fast read.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this one, and yep I have to agree with your cons, but I still closed the book satisfied. I enjoyed the Collector more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fine with the cons since it was such a fun read but I think it does keep it from being a truly memorable read.

      Delete