Thursday, July 24, 2014

Birchbox Review - July 2014

This is my 13th Birchbox!  I've had the subscription since July of last year and have been loving it!  Birchbox is $10/month and you get a box of deluxe size samples that are somewhat tailored to your profile.  I've had some boxes that where okay and some that I loved and for $10 it all works out!  They also have a great rewards program.

This month's box was done as a collaboration with Women's Health magazine so the box this month is really cute

Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream (Full Size $20) in Acai Grapefruit
This smelled really nice and they have other yummy scents like blueberry and pomegranate that I wouldn't mind trying but to be honest other than the smell this wasn't that special.  I didn't find it any more moisturizing than my generic Target brand shave cream and I didn't like the fact that it was clear so you couldn't tell where'd you shaved already.
Packaging - nice travel sized tube
Buy? - No


LAQA & Co Sheer Lip Lube Pencil (full size $18) in Menatour
This lip color is purple - like coloring of the packaging purple.  However it was sheer enough that even though it packed a purple punch it almost worked with my coloring.  It stayed on a pretty long time and while I wouldn't necessarily call it moisturizing it wasn't drying which is a minor miracle.  I normally don't like these kinds of pencil lipsticks because I always feel like I have a clown mouth when I wear them but this has just the right amount of sheerness, color and shine that it really works.  They have a nude and a coral which I'd love to give a try.

Packaging - Pretty close to full size
Buy? - Yes but in a different color

Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel(Full size $48)
I liked that this was fast to use.  You put it on let it set for a 30 seconds and then rub it off.  I don't have a huge amount of time to sit with stuff on my face so that was appealing.  I've had a cold this past week and this helped to liven up my cold-dulled complexion.  I had no tingling, burning or tightening feelings so I think it would work great for more sensitive skin that would usually have trouble with this kind of thing.
Packaging - travel tube
Buy? - Maybe.  It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way.  I'll have to see how much I miss it when I finish the sample

Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream (Full Size $38)
This is the only product I haven't used yet because I'm finishing up my current eye cream.  I'm excited to try it though because ever since I accidentally turned the camera around on my phone and got a close up of my not 22 any more year old skin anti-aging products have had a higher priority.  The reviews are good though
Packaging - Travel size tube
Buy? - since I haven't tried it yet I don't know.  It's pricey but not so outrageous that I wouldn't buy it it really worked.

100% Pure Gingerade Shower Gel (Honey Cream Wash) (Full Size $15)
I loved the scent on this one.  It smelled like taking a shower with really intense smelling ginger ale.  Unfortunately it didn't suds up very well and it the texture was pretty watery.
Packaging - 2 foil packets - about 2 uses per packet.
Buy? - No I can get nice smelling shower gel that is more effective for much less.

So that's what Birchbox sent me this month!  Some good, some bad but all fun to try out!

7 comments:

  1. If you find an eye cream you like, let me know. I am still searching for the perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I think part of my problem is I'm cheap. I've had good luck with a Mary Kay one but I think they stopped making it and I don't know anyone who sells Mary Kay anymore.

      Delete
  2. I like the purple lip pencil! I found a sheer purple lip balm that I'm hooked on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is gorgeous! If you ever see it give it a try. It even almost worked with my red hair and freckle face and that's a challenge!

      Delete
  3. You know... I haven't subscribed yet to Birchbox. I loved your reviews though.. a lot of my friends get this and love it. Do you have any great cheaper wrinkle creams that you can recommend???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an eye cream but I've been using L'Oreal Paris RevitaLift Deep Set Wrinkle Repair Night Lotion. It's in the $20 range but it lasts forever. I just just use a little bit at night and I've noticed a difference in the forehead creases and this awful furrow that was around my eyebrows. It seems to have helped even out my skin as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! I did just buy that Rock brand http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390875437413?lpid=82 I read that it was a good alternative to the more expensive brands like Este Lauder. I will look at the L'Oreal one too. I am 5 years from 40 but can see wrinkles starting and think I might as well start putting on creams.

      Delete