Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Top Ten Tuesday Blogger Confessions
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the awesome people at The Broke and the Bookish
Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is blogger confessions. I've been really looking forward to this topic if for the primary reason of seeing everyone else's confessions. Here's mine:
1. I wasn't an English major. In fact not only was a not an English major but I was thrilled to be done with the 3 English classes I had to take as a Computer Science major. My professors were fine but discussing symbolism and true meanings makes me want to run at top speed into the nearest wall. If I went back to school to get a degree in something purely for fun it would be history which I adore.
2. I don't like Feels reads. I know when someone says something along the lines of "I cried buckets with this one" people line up to read it. I'm not one of them. I hate to cry or have a gut wrenching read. If a book is strongly recommended enough I might cave but it's reluctantly.
3. I read fast. Like freakishly fast. It's a handy skill particularly now that my reading time has been significantly cut down. I got self conscious about it because in elementary school my teachers couldn't believe I could read as fast as I was and comprehend things despite the fact that my grades in subjects that relied on reading comprehension were excellent. It wasn't a lot of fun. There were parent teacher conferences about it and 1 teacher who had absolutely no business teaching children tried to trip me up in class about it basically constantly.
4. I watch a lot of TV. I really like TV and watch a pretty good bit of it. I watch Netflix while I'm cooking dinner (getting through the series Numbers right now) and at least a show while I eat lunch and another before I go upstairs at night. There's not a food competition show I haven't tried and my list of crime shows is pretty complete - NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, CSI, Criminal Minds, Unforgettable, Elementary. Then there's Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sherlock (though since that's only 3 shows every 2 years I'm not sure it counts). As well as The Big Bang Theory, The Bachelor/Bachelorette (which I watch with Emma which is pretty entertaining to hear her take on it). Then there's the whole Investigation Discovery channel showing true crime shows. It's a problem! I wasn't allowed to watch TV at all when I was a kid so I'm making up for lost time now I think.
5. I have a lot of review books. Like a lot. Like over 60 currently to review. It's a problem. Moderation has never been my strong suit when it comes to books and I had a lot of fun with NetGalley. I'm working to get it under control and luckily I don't view review books like homework so that helps.
6. Only a very few people that I know in real life know about this blog or really how much I read in general. Pretty much there's only my immediate family and 1 other friend.
7. I don't really like blog tours unless they're accompanied by a review. I like to read about books people are waiting for or excited about but if it's just general information on a book or a press release than I skip over it.
8. I love comments! Every time a comment shows up in my email it gives me a little mood lift!
9. I suck at tags and cross-posting. I really want to be more organized on both but so far I haven't been great at follow through. At some point I'm going to get all my posts tagged and all my reviews cross-posted on goodreads and amazon but today is not that day.
10. I'm really bad about staying completely in my rather narrow comfort zone. Blogging has helped a bit because it's exposed me to new and different books that I wouldn't have even seen if it was for people writing about them. Even with trying new and different genres there are still a few subjects I tend to avoid because they make me uncomfortable. That's chicken I know but I'm still in baby steps here!