Friday, July 4, 2014

Friday Linkups - The Cape Cod Mystery













Happy July 4 if you're in the US and happy Friday if you're not!  Are plans are pretty small for today - cookout and then going to watch some fireworks - but I'm really looking forward to a low key day.  Today I'm linking up with Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings hosted by Rose City Reader.

Today's Question: Do you cull your list often or do people stay on once they get on?

My Answer: If we're talking about blog followers than no I never cull the list.  Not sure why I would.  If we're talking about blogs that I follow then I do very occasionally cull that list.  If there's a blog that I really have nothing in common with over a long span of time than I may remove it from my feed but I think I can think of maybe 3 or 4 times that's happened.

Today's book is The Cape Cod Mystery by Phoebe Atwood Taylor.  This is a classic American mystery series that somehow I've never read.  This also is my first book for the COYER Fun in the Sun Read-A-Thon hosted by Kim at Fantasy is More Fun and Michelle at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life.

The Beginning:
" "Heat wave hits East," Betsey read.  "Prostration record of all time.  Mecury soaring." Well, that's gone and torn our peaceful vacation, that has.  By to-night we'll have a stack of telegrams a yard high from city-sizzling friends who want to get cooled off.
I sighed a little.  "I know," I said wearily.  As a perennial and thoroughly experienced summer cottager on Cape Cod I sat back to await the inevitable deluge."

The 56:
"When Asey came back his face wore a troubled look. "Have you any word from Jimmy?"
"Yup.  He can't come down.  Says the Porter company is on the verge of mergin' with some other concern an' that he couldn't get away if Bill himself was killed."

So what do you think?  Would you keep reading?

36 comments:

  1. A mystery at the beach! Sounds like fun...thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “REAL MURDER”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was fun. The time period was really interesting!

      Delete
  2. I'm the same would never dream of loosing any of my awesome followers xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! Thanks for sharing! Here is my book beginning at Shut Up & Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series either, but it sounds so interesting. Definitely worth checking out.
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this one. Definitely a good mystery series.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the cover, and this sounds very good.

    I haven't heard of the series....thanks for sharing.

    Have a great weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good read. If you like Agatha Christie this series might work for you.

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering when this story takes place, and I'm guessing it was before the advent of air conditioning! Sounds like a great series (in a lovely setting) that I'd enjoy reading.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was published in 1931 so air conditioning was a long way off. The time period is very well done. They talk about having a new electric refrigerator!

      Delete
  7. How have I not heard of this series before? I must check it out. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought when I came across this one! It's a fun read.

      Delete
  8. Hah, that beginning is great and I can imagine that's what beach house owners suffer through. I think I'll add this to my wish list.

    I cull blogs that I follow periodically; if I no longer enjoy their posts, I drop them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this one. Not quite as great as Christie but still a fun read.

      Delete
  9. Beachy mystery, sounds like a thrilling summer read ;)

    my BB and 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read. The setting especially was well done.

      Delete
  10. I wish I was at the beach right now, sitting in a chair like that on the cover of The Cape Cod Mystery. :-)

    It has been a while since I last culled my blog list. If I cull a list, it's often for the same reason you mentioned. I think the last time I did it was when Google Reader went out of business and I switched to a different feed reader.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is that a red herring or is Bill really going to get killed? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've every read any of Phoebe Atwood Taylor's books. Maybe I should give her a try? Are you enjoying this one?

    As for culling blog followers - why on earth would one do that? (For that matter, how would one do that?) Like you, I've occasionally stopped following a blog if I just don't have much in common with the blogger. I also have blogs I check frequently and blogs I check less frequently, because there's just no way to visit them all every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this one. Reads a little like a Poirot - a little stilted but still fun.

      Delete
  13. Perfect beach read!!!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of this series or author. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series. Looking forward to reading more of these books.

      Delete
  15. I never cull my blog followers either.

    The Cape Cod book sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd read it for the setting and because it's a mystery. I know the Cape is popular this time of year, especially around the July 4 holiday!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun read. Not too silly and the setting is great!

      Delete
  17. Hi Katherine,

    I too, have never come across this series or its author before (in any of the various guises under which she writes).

    I am not sure that this is a book I would buy for myself, as much as I love a good mystery, this series might be just a little too 'cozy' for my tastes. However, if I was being offered the book for review and it had those opening lines, then of course I would carry on reading!

    Everyone seems to catalogue their lists of blogs they follow and bloggers who follow them, differently. On my Wordpress site, I have a Blogroll side bar, where I can place a link to blogs I enjoy following. I must admit that I am a little lapse, however I will check out the list from time to time, as I often find links which no longer work. It is often no more than the fact that the blogger has renamed their site and the link has changed, however just recently I have come across one or two who have actually closed their blog down and 'retired'.

    Many bloggers tell me they have now switched and rely solely on Facebook and other more 'immediate' social networking sites to talk with fellow booklovers and readers .... is anyone else finding this trend?

    Nice post, thanks for sharing,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one wasn't too cozy though it was a little dated (pub. 1931). I don't know anyone who has switched to Facebook. They're so unreliable on what they show readers I'd be worried about that being my sole means of contact!

      Delete