Friday, July 11, 2014

Friday Linkups: Destination Unknown













It's Friday so I'm linking up with Book Blogger Hop hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings on Friday hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice.

Today's book blogger question is:  Do you read books in translation?  What are the last 3 you read?

My Answer:  Not really.  Recently, I read The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera which I believe was originally published in Spanish and I think a lot of the charm and emotion was lost in the translation.  I think much of the original sentiment can get lost when the language changes so even if the story stays basically the same as readers some of the possibilities for an emotional connection gets lost.  I wouldn't necessarily avoid a translated book but I would probably be more hesitant.

For Book Beginnings on Friday and the Friday 56 I'm revisiting Agatha Christie.  Today's book was published in 1954 under the original title of So Many Steps to Death.  After a decade or 2 of country house murders Agatha takes us once again on a few international adventures.

The Beginning:  "The Man behind the desk moved a heavy glass paper weight four inches to the right.  His face was not so much thoughtful or abstracted as expressionless.  He had the pale complexion that comes from living most of the day in artificial light.  This man, you felt, was an indoor man."


The 56: (from page 56 of my 1987 paperback)
Jessop thought: "There's passion there - and guts - and somewhere, damped but not quenched, there's a gay spirit that's tough - and that enjoys life and searches out for adventure."
"You'll do", he said to her.  "You're an apt pupil."

This is a rather fun book, full of secrets and hidden identities.  Very different from some of the more proper Poirots and Marples.

20 comments:

  1. I've read a few Christie novels, but not this one...yet. I like the sound of it! My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/07/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read one book, and it was beautifully translated. For the most part they seem to do a good job.

    I love Agatha Christie. ENJOY, and thanks for sharing the title.

    Have a great weekend. Giveaway for The Paris Architect on my blog if you want to stop by.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read anything by Christie, much to my dismay, as I realize how much I am missing. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's mine: “SMALL BLESSINGS”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of The Awakening of Miss Prim, but I have never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fond memories of my grandmother reading these books and I would ask for them when she was done. I have read many, whether this is one or not, can't remember. I do love the cover. Have a great weekend.
    sherry @ My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. These Agatha Christie novels all have the same feel to them...deep, inner reflection. But at the same time makes you wonder if the narrator is seeing the whole picture or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the Queen of Agatha Christie books. :) This sounds different and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a long time since I've read an Agatha Christie book, though I've enjoyed the Poirot series on PBS. This sounds like a good one.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: WHAT MATTERS MOST.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm missing out because I've never read Agatha Christie books and I've heard many nice things about the pace of the stories. I do like the cover art on this one. Happy reading, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Lady D. I have yet to read an Agatha Christie mystery, and feel I'm missing out on something.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "He had the pale complexion that comes from living most of the day in artificial light. This man, you felt, was an indoor man."

    I am an indoor type of gal, a homebody to be precise, and my complexion is far from light ha ha! The Friday 56 made me immediately think of Amelia Earhart. Thanks for sharing!


    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any translated books yet, I've got sooo many English books to get through first lol x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it bad that I haven't read anything by Agatha Christie yet?

    My BB & 56 

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only read a couple of Christie books a long time ago, and have seen a few movies based on her books. This one sounds good to me. I don't read many translated books, not avoiding them--just how it is-- the last one was Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus (from German).
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love this one! Parts of it are admittedly far-fetched, but it's a lot of fun nonetheless, and I really like the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't remember reading this one, but it sounds good. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never read any of the Christie's outside of the country house setting, I really should. This one looks like intriguing and I'd like to see how she handles a wider setting. I know she did a Caribbean mystery too if I'm not mistaken, but I have haven't read it. Hmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My book club read Christie's Murder on the Orient Express a couple of years ago and I loved it. I need to make time to read more of her work. I will add this one to my list!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  19. Got to love Agatha Christie! :-)

    I don't read a lot of translations either.

    ReplyDelete