Sunday, July 6, 2014

This Week in Reading - July 6



Once again I'm linking up with the Caffeinated Book Reviewer for the Sunday Post to talk about what's happening on and off the blog.

What I Got:

NetGalley:

I intended to stay away from NetGalley for awhile and then I saw the cover on the left.  It's a cat in a bookstore.  I'm just not that strong!
So with a couple of new requests and a couple of old requests getting approved this week this is what I ended up with.

The Moment of Everything by Shelly King - It's about a used bookstore.  It involves a book with notes from long ago.  There's a cat on the cover.  I'm very excited.

An American Duchess by Sharon Page - Marriage of convenience 1920s style!

The Betrayed by Heather Graham - Supernatural romantic suspense involving a special unit of the FBI.  I enjoyed a previous book by the author last month so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Night of a Thousand Stars by Deanna Raybourn - I've been loving the Deanna Raybourn books I've been reading lately and this one set in the 1920s looks great.

Silent Witnesses: The Often Gruesome but Always Fascinating History of Forensic Science by Nigel McCrery - After the subtitle do I really need to explain?  Looking forward to this one as well.

COYER:

For more information about the COYER challenge visit Fantasy is More Fun.  So my goal to work an extra hour of reading time in everyday isn't going great.  I'm thinking about setting aside a day to just read as much as I can and go from there.

The Fun in the Sun Read-a-thon is going on this weekend which focuses on beach related reads.  I have several that fit the bill and and am done with one and almost done with another.  I'm hoping to get another one done by the end but we'll see.

Other Stuff:

We had a great 4th of July.  Nice and low key with excellent food and great fireworks.  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  This has definitely been one of the more relaxing weekends I've had in awhile and I've really been enjoying it though the Tornado has yet to grasp the loveliness that is spending a whole day reading.  4 may be a bit young for that.  The only problem is something is happening at a field down the street that grows cotton part of the year and something that is not cotton the other part.  My farm knowledge is really top-notch!  Anyway, they're doing something that involves lots of heavy machinery and the dust of whatever the not cotton thing is and it's causing my allergies to go seriously haywire.  I look like I've been weeping uncontrollably which isn't a great look and the allergy meds are making me a bit drowsy.

On the odd side I've started getting magazine subscriptions.  Last fall I got Cosmopolitan and when I looked it up to say that I didn't want it it turns out I have a 2 year paid subscription.  It happened again with Seventeen a few months later, than Fitness a few months after that and now I got Oprah.  All of these are fully paid up subscriptions. Anyone had anything like this happen or have any idea what's going on?  

We're still watching lots of World Cup soccer. I'll be sorry to see it come to an end.  Also The Lego Movie is still on our watch list.  I'm pretty sure we've watched it every day for at least 2 weeks.  If you haven't seen it it's a fun movie even without kids and this is coming from someone who has seen it 14 times times in 14 days!

On the Blog:

This week:

The review of one of the most fun non-fiction books I've read this year
The Top Ten classics I want to read/reread
review of Susan Wigg's The Beekeeper's Ball.  A follow up to one of my favorite books last year
review for the latest in a fun cozy mystery series and my explanation of what I like to call Jessica Fletcher syndrome
My Friday linkups for the first in a classic American mystery series
review for a surprisingly creepy romance that illustrated why you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover

Next week:

My Top Ten Tuesday blogger confessions
The review for a new to me American classic mystery series on Thursday
Friday linkups which may or may not feature an Agatha Christie book (it's been 2 weeks so Agatha's due!)
3 book reviews

Have a great week and happy reading!

24 comments:

  1. I have had magazine subscriptions that I never paid for before too. I used to sign up for a lot of free stuff online and do surveys, so I just assumed they were from that kind of thing.

    I never formally signed up for the Fun in the Sun readathon at COYER and it's a good thing because I have had almost no reading time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing COYER but not doing this weekend's readathon, mostly due to needing to read other books for upcoming tours (2 this week!) But have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a COYER challenge member this summer, but I am not structured enough to follow the mini-challenges, so I am just rotating an older book into my reading each week. Only way I can do it. I too am interested about the bookstore with the cat cover. I need to find out more about this particular story. About the magazines, be very careful that they aren't sending you some and then a bill will arrive after you've gotten some for free. Had this happen to me with a magazine that I would never in a million years pick out, and then got a bill from them, um no,,I ignored the bill and the magazines and they eventually stopped.
    Glad you had a relaxing 4th weekend. See if you can give your little guy a basket of kid books and have him sit next to you and read while you get some reading in--might work. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, The Moment of Everything looks like a must-read. Thanks for sharing...and I LOVE magazines, subscribing to way more than I need. But I haven't had any surprise subscriptions in a while. Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's odd about the subscriptions. Maybe they were gifts or as Jenna said, you got them from doing online surveys? As long as you aren't getting stuck with the bill.

    I am not sure if I have beachy reads, I probably do, but the books I need to get read this weekend aren't beachy. I'm doing well with COYER though so I'm happy.

    Your haul looks good and several are appealing, you evil temptress. Or is that NetGalley? :D

    I hope the dust settles and your allergies clear up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - That's funny about the magazine subscriptions. Are you sure they aren't charging you some how? You must refrain from visiting NetGalley. You can do it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand about the NetGalley thing. I'm not sure I can resist The Moment of Everything either. That looks great.

    The magazine subscription this is weird. Maybe there is something you did online.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by earlier. I love the cover on The Moment of Everything. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha...you cannot window shop at netgalley it never ever works! Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah you mean you're just being given magazine? That's kind of cool! That cover is AWESOME though. Hehe. Everything a bookworm loves, right?! I'm staying away from NetGalley at the moment, just because I purely need to play catch-up and not get more books!
    Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I've seen that book cover, I wouldn't last long too. :) Looking forward to your Top Ten Blogger Confessions :) Have a great week ahead and thanks for stopping by my Sunday Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, what a full week! I am kinda glad that I never have gone digital or my TBR would probably just be overwhelming (well it already is). Your free mags are probably their way of keeping you as a subscriber. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had your blogging (and reading) stamina! I do have a post scheduled for tomorrow but I have no idea what I've got going the rest of the week. Eeep!

    Yes on the Lego movie. The first time I watched it I was really disappointed but everytime I watch it I love it more and more. Such a fun and clever movie. I think Batman is my favorite. Hope you have a great week and that your allergies calm down a bit. Nothing worse than wanting to settle down with a book and being drowsy from allergy meds!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting Jorie’s Reads by Starry Night Elf! I'm on the waiting list for "The Lego Movie" as well. I hope all goes well with the Mystery challenge.... Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally see why you couldn't resist the cat in the bookstore. Looks so cute! Hope you have an awesome week of reading, and thanks for stopping by Books, Bones & Buffy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so odd about the magazines. I always read mine now on my tablet since my library loans them out for freeon them. Though I do subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and I know that after the subscription expires I continue to get the magazine for like two months. The moment of Everything looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great new books! I want to read them all! Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. NetGalley is tough to avoid, isn't it? I was fine all year, but got c couple of titles at the end of June. Will read one this month and one next, then that it for the year! (I hope...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a pretty awesome cover! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got a copy of The Moment of Everything, too. I can't wait to read it - it sounds like it will be a good read!

    Have a great week and thanks for stopping by my blog!
    ~Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cover of The Moment of Everything is too good to pass by. I hope you enjoy the book! I am supposed to be getting a copy of The Betrayed too. I hope it's good! Silent Witnesses sounds like it will be good too.

    I am glad you had such a nice 4th of July. :-) We did too, minus the work part for me. I could have done without that. Haha! That's too bad about your allergies though. My husband finally went to see the doctor Saturday and was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. He's on meds now, so hopefully will start feeling better soon.

    I hope you have a great week this week, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Netgalley is every bloggers downfall. It's impossible to resist. :)
    I'm glad you had a great long weekend. I made Canada Day into a long weekend for myself and it was great.
    Sucks about your allergies though. I can sympathize. Allergies are killer. :/
    Yes, it will be like there's a piece of me missing come Sunday when the final match is over. The World Cup has taken up so much of my time this past month.
    You cheering for any in particular? Or is your team still in it?
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't been to NetGalley for a long while since I tend to request more books than I could read. But that cover looks real cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you had a great holiday weekend. Your new read looks interesting! Enjoy!

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete