Monday, February 5, 2018

Reviews from the Children's Section - The Wind in the Willows

One of my favorite genres and one that is the easiest for me to push aside is middle grade fiction. This year to make sure I get a little more children's and young adult fiction I thought I would designate the first Monday of every month Middle Grade Monday.  While a lot of my picks this year are classics I am trying to branch out a little bit and read new or at least recent releases.  Today's book is one I've always been aware of and that I've seen bits and pieces of in plays or on TV.  For some reason however, it never occurred to me until now to actually read the book!

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (Amazon Link) 

I was charmed immediately by the introduction that gave a short biography of Graham and how the book itself came to be.  Apparently many of these stories were taken from letters he wrote to his son while he was away from home.  As I listened to the stories I could easily imagine the fanciful little stories being read by a delighted little boy while he waited for his father to return home.

The book is really a series of related vignettes.  The main characters of Mr. Toad, Rat, Mole and Badger though they aren't always in every story and sometimes they are only side characters.  They were sweet stories that didn't moralize but were entertaining.  I did like that while Mr. Toad doesn't necessarily learn his lesson from all his conceit and misdeeds he does look ridiculous to the readers.  I think young children would get a giggle out of all his antics.  The pace for the stories is slow and I think these would be wonderful bedtime stories.  I found that I enjoyed them much more if I went a chapter at a time.  If I listened to much more I found the story became monotonous.  I'm not sure I'd classify this book as a must read - especially for adults.  It's sweet but a bit slow.  I do think it would be great bedtime story reading and if I ever see that it's coming to the local theater in play form we will definitely be going.

I listened to the audio book which was narrated by Shelly Frasier and she did a wonderful job with the different voices.

10 comments:

  1. oh i haven't heard of the book in ages! was my favourite when i was a kid

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look like a really charming book for, like you said, bedtime stories or just a slow reading experience with kids. I've never read it although I think we have a copy... somewehre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to be doing a re-read this year for the Better World Books Challenge. It was one of my all time favorite kids books. I was disappointed when I tried to read it with Baz and he didn't like it at all. Maybe I should have trued the one chapter at a time method. He was much more into the us reading the Pure Dead Magic books at the time. Dragons with diarrhea, what could top that? Ha ha. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Katherine, this is one of my favorite books. My Mom read the book to me when I was a little girl. I have that book now and love to read passages and look at some of the pictures and remember her reading to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have the audiobook of this one in my Audible account. I may have to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to avoid middle grade books because I feel I won't have the patience to read it. I don't mind the audio version though. The narrator for Are You There God? It's me, Margaret. did a great job of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to read The Wind in the Willows for ages! Or rather, read and re-read, because I read part of it years ago, and then had to return the copy to its owner without finishing it. I need to find a copy of my own, or check the library. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are my comments going? I commented on this one, too. :(

    I loved this book and was excited to share it with Baz, but he didn't like it. I was surprised because he loved the Frog and Toad books. I am going to re-read it for one of the Better World Books Challeng prompts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been ages since I read this. I think I remember the movie more. :-)

    ReplyDelete