Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Classics I want to Read/Reread

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is Top Ten favorite classics or Top Ten classics you want to read.  Since there are so many great books out there that I haven't gotten to yet I've chosen the latter and throwing in a reread part because there's definitely books I want to revisit.

I was really excited when I discovered that my library has a number of these classics in audiobook format.  I'm adjusting to audiobooks and so far I'm really enjoying them!  I just listened to The Great Gatsby which has been on this list forever.  It was interesting to listen to this as an adult as the last time I read it I was in high school.  Now enough of that rambling and on to the list:

Classics I want to Read/Reread:

Rereads:

1.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - I read this book when I was around 14 and remember loving it.  It was also the first PC game I ever played.  It was the kind of game with no graphics where you typed the command in and got back text depending on what you said.  It was great!  Since most of my memories involve either the game or the most recent movie I definitely need to revisit the book!

2.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I haven't forgiven the book for the whole Amy/Jo/Laurie plot so maybe it's time I give it another try.

3.  Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - I hated this book when I read it in high school and I mean HATED it.  The only thing I enjoyed was the descriptions of Miss Havisham.  I think it's time to review this one as well.


To Read:


4.  The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - I know the basic premise and I've seen this referenced in other books but I've never actually read this one.

5.  The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - I read Of Mice and Men, I've read East of Eden, I've even read The Pearl but somehow the book he's probably best known for completely fell through the gaps.

6.  Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Somehow I've never read this.

7.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I own this one but that sums up how close I've actually gotten to reading it.

8.  War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - I didn't exactly love the Russians when I encountered them at 17 but this feels like a book I should read.

9.  Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - I read Jane Eyre by her sister Charlotte but never made it to Emily's work.

10.  The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - I don't know how this never got read.  I'm so embarrassed!

So that's my list of classics I need to read.  Have you read any of these?  Is there a book that is really embarrassing to admit you haven't read?

22 comments:

  1. Huckleberry Finn, great one! I read Tom Sawyer and have fond memories of it, but for some reason never read Huck Finn... I may have to rectify that! Most of the others on your list I have not read- I'm not very well read when it comes to the classics I guess... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to rectify missing out on Huck Finn. I'm think this would be a great one on audio. I'm not particularly well read on classics either. There's just so many books out there and only a limited amount of time.

      Delete
  2. This is a great list, Katherine. I love classics (have read all of these except W&P), but have only read a couple this year. Maybe a "classics fall" would be a good idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm intending to get better read on the classics. I love the idea of a classics fall!

      Delete
  3. I like your list, even though I still have not read A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (please do not hate me). There are so many classics out there that I cannot keep up with them and all of the modern books. The problems of a bookworm :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem! There are so many books I have to read, want to read, should read that it gets a bit overwhelming at times! Hitchhiker's Guide is a pretty quick read and pretty entertaining. I'm not a huge scifi fan but I like this one!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I really need to read a Hitchhiker's Guide. My husband keeps shaming me for not picking it up.

    I hated Great Expectations in high school, but I loved it when I reread it. I highly recommend giving it a try! Dorian Gray is amazing as well! Its a really fast read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! It's a pretty quick read!

      That's great that you liked Great Expectations the 2nd time around. That gives me a little more incentive to give it another try.

      Delete
  5. I love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My husband introduced me to Douglas Adams and I keep meaning to read some of his other work. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is one I really want to read. And maybe someday I'll give War and Peace another try. Great list, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I've only read the one but I really enjoyed it. I've heard great things about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. One day right!

      Delete
  6. I have read a couple, want to read a couple and have no desire to read (or reread) a couple. There. I'm pretty specific, right? lol Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my husband's favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! I'm looking forward to reading it again.

      Delete
  8. I began to read Hitchhiker's but I DNF'd it. I was 13 though so maybe now that I'm a little older I should give it a proper chance. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely could be something you'd appreciate with a little age. The humor is definitely kind of on the weird side so that has to appeal to you as well otherwise the book is just pointless.

      Delete
  9. Douglas Adams is such a neat author-love his books :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to give some of his other works a try. I'm sure we have most of them because my husband is a fan as well.

      Delete
  10. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is wonderful. I think you should prioritize that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely should! I'm really going to have to make more of an effort to read more classics.

      Delete
  11. Your to read section looks pretty similar to mine - I definitely need to get to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn sometime this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wuthering Heights is great! Love the descriptions of the moors and the snow and all that. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my all-time favorite books. I had no idea there was a game version...I wonder if it's still around today.

    ReplyDelete