Monday, July 21, 2014

Return to Homecoming Ranch - Review


Return to Homecoming Ranch by Julia London

Rating:4 Stars
Source: NetGalley
Description:  Libby Taylor has a glass half full philosophy until her boyfriend,Ryan, dumps her, she loses contact with the kids she raised for 4 years, and then she loses her job and her reputation after she attacks Ryan's truck with a gulf club.

Sheriff Sam Winters knows what it's like to have your whole world fall apart and he's never quite forgotten how kind Libby was too him after his trip to rehab 2 years ago.  Can a helping hand turn to more?

Genre: Romance
Why I Picked This Book: I've enjoyed other London books and I wanted to try one of her contemporary.

My Impression:
Pros: Libby is an extremely sympathetic character.  She was doing everything she was supposed to and has her whole world yanked out from under her.  Sam's a Nice Guy - in caps.  He goes out of his way to help people whether it's appreciated or not.  He's got his own demons and his own mistakes but he's fought them and fort the most part won.  It makes sense as to why he doesn't want to get involved with Libby since his previous relationship was so disastrous.  I like that Libby's adaptable.  She want something to work with the ranch and she's willing to adjust her plans.  I also liked the addition of Tony who Sam is helping.  They all kind of need each other in a way and it was nice to see those bonds forming as the characters, especially Libby and Tony, find their footing.

Cons:  The time period is too short to believe fully in an HEA. The breakup is less than a year old.  The golf club incident was weeks ago.  I didn't like how far into the book Libby is still dealing with her feelings for Ryan.  I also didn't like how just mean the town was towards Libby.  She's been treated like crap and had one incident after years of being there for everyone and everyone immediately treats her like she's a time bomb.  Everyone knows what happened and it seems like someone should be a little more sympathetic to her.

Overall: These were really nice very complex characters.  Life hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows and they haven't always acted the way in the ways that they should but they're all survivors and as a reader it's easy to connect with them and root for them.  It's a quick well-paced read.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes definitely.  I'd like to go back and read the first in the series and would read the next book as well.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes definitely.  This isn't a light fluffy read but it isn't dark either.  I hadn't read the first one but had no problem understanding what was going on and connecting with the characters.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds really good. I will have to look it up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sounds of this though I can see the town holding a grudge and treating her poorly would get on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read the first book for a long time. It looks like a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any Julia London books as of yet. Maybe one of these days I'll get the time and opportunity...

    Thanks for visiting my Sunday/Monday post..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a shame the timeline failed the HEA, Sometimes the author can make me believe despite it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one--and the cover. :-) I don't mind a Nice Guy, as long as he's not too too perfect, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete