Wednesday, July 9, 2014

On Sunset Beach - Review

On Sunset Beach: The Chesapeake Diaries by Mariah Stewart

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Source: NetGalley

Description:  Art dealer and gallery owner Carly Summit is thrilled when a huge cache of paintings by an artist who was previously thought to have very little work was discovered in the attic of her friend Ellie's house in St. Dennis.  The only catch - the paintings must be shown in St. Dennis.  Carly heads to the coast to manage the exhibit and meets Ford Sinclair.  Ford has just returned home after 6 years in war torn central Africa where he has seen too many atrocities to not change him.  Both are unsettled and looking for changes but can the solutions they seek be found right here in this little town on the Chesapeake Bay?

Genre: Romance
Why I Picked This Book:  I've enjoyed several of Stewart's romantic suspense titles and I really want to like this series.  Also, this seemed like the perfect book for the COYER Fun in the Sun Read-A-Thon.

My Impression:
Pros: If you heard a sigh of contentment this past Sunday morning that was me finishing this book.  I've had mixed results with this series - liked the 1st but got confusing with all the tie-ins to a previous series, couldn't finish the 2nd, thought the 3rd was okay but flawed.  This book was everything I've wanted the series to be.  The characters were wonderful.  I love Ford and how much attention he paid to Carly.  He noticed what she liked and paid attention to what she said and then tried to surprise her just to make her happy.  It was lovely.  Carly's also a great character.  She's ambitious and intelligent but also good-hearted, warm spirited and optimistic.  While Ford has been through hell and he is wounded he's not scarred.  He's more lost and restless, trying to adjust to regular life after so much time spent on the edge.  I love Grace Sinclair and for once the diary entries really felt right with the book.  While other characters were mentioned it was only when they fit into the story so there wasn't that deluge of story lines you have to sort out.  This could definitely be read as a stand alone though it did make me want to go back and read the stories of the characters who played a role in the book - Ellie/Cam and Lucy/Clay.

Cons: This is a fairly predictable book.  You can pretty much guess what's going to happen 50 pages in.  I didn't necessarily find this to be a bad thing but some people might.

Overall Impression:  This book delivers a small town setting filled with great characters.  While it is book 8 in the series it can easily be read on it's own.  I loved the Carly and Ford and look forward to going back to read Ellie's story.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, can't wait to read more of this series!

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Definitely!  If you're wanting a nice summer read in a beautiful setting about a really nice couple this is definitely the book!

14 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of trying Mariah Stewart's Chesapeake books. I love Sherryl Woods' Chesapeake Shores series also set on the Bay, and living in Maryland or Virginia much of my life means the Bay area is familiar to me. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, and I think I'll move Stewart up my TBR list a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't loved the others in the series - though I haven't read all 8 - but I really enjoyed this one!

      Delete
  2. I read one book by Stewart and it was okay. I like the sounds of this despite the predictability. I'll add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other 3 I've read in this series have been okay though I did really enjoy her romantic suspense. This one I really enjoyed. One of those times where predictability isn't a bad thing!

      Delete
  3. This sounds good! Ford's character in particular appeals to me given his work history. I am glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy this one which was nice because I haven't loved this series. Ford is fantastic!

      Delete
  4. I love Mariah Stewart but I haven't started this series yet. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mariah Stewart but have had mixed results with the series. This one however was fantastic!

      Delete
  5. Ford sounds like a really sweet guy. *dreamy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he is! Probably one of my favorite romance guys ever!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a good summer read, Katherine. I like the sound of both the main characters. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great summer read! It was nice to really like both main characters!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read Stewart before. This sounds like a light summer read. Sometimes light and predictable isn't a bad thing!

    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light and predictable definitely wasn't a bad thing in this case! I really enjoyed this one. One of those you don't want to put down!

      Delete