Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ipsy Glambag Review - July

Ipsy is my 2nd beauty subscription.  I was having so much fun getting my Birchboxes but I wanted more stuff in the mail and Ipsy at $10/month seemed like the obvious next step.  I started with the September 2013 bag.  I've been asked a few times what the difference is between Ipsy and Birchbox and while they're the same kind of thing I compare them to Ann Taylor and Forever21.  Ann Taylor is nice quality classics with the occasional fun trendy thing thrown in.  Forever21 is lower quality and much more fun trendy stuff.  I get lots more full size products from Ipsy but they tend to be lower quality brands.

With Ipsy instead of the box you get a bright pink envelope with a makeup bag full of products once a month.  Here's what July contained:

The Bag:



Bright pink (and I mean bright!) with scalloped edges.  It zips at the top which I prefer and is kind of padded plastic.

The products:


Model's Own Nail Polish in Red Sea
This was a almost gel like nail polish with somewhat translucent finish.  The color is a bright pinky red with chunks of glitter.  It's really fun for summer but not a shade I'd grab for just a regular day.
Container: Full size or close to full size bottle
Buy?: Probably not.  I like essie better.

Bare Minerals 5 in 1 Cream Shadow in Barely Nude
This is supposed to do 5 different things.  It's a sunscreen, it's a primer, it's a cream eye shadow, a brighterner and also smooths fine lines.  I was thrilled when I saw this little tube as I've loved all the Bare Minerals products I've used in the past.  SPF and wrinkle cream aren't all that important on my eye lids but it definitely lives up to it's other claims.  It's an excellent cream shadow that isn't greasy or overly powdery and it stays on forever.  A little goes a long way so I expect this little tube to last awhile.
Container: Tube about an inch long
Buy?: Probably


Pixi Beauty Mini Tinted Brilliance Balm in Unique Pink
After my love affair with the lip pencil in my Birchbox I had high hopes fro this one.  I'm not quite as in love.  It's a nice pencil but much more of a chapstick feel then a sheer balm.  The color is pretty much the exact color of my lips without any color on them so it doesn't do much for me.
Container: Mini tube - maybe 2 or 3 inches.  Plenty to really test it out.
Buy? No

pur-lisse pur-protect Essential Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
I love this brand!  It's my 3rd product from this particular brand and they've all been great.  It goes on without feeling to heavy or cakey and seems to provide good protection without causing any breakouts.  Their moisturizer and serum are really great products as well though I'm not sure on the price on either.  I'm kind of scared to look.
Container: Travel Tube
Buy?: Possibly depending on cost.

Clear Clinic Laboratories Vanished Clear Spot Treatment
I do get the occasional spot so I was excited to give this a try.  It wasn't exactly a magic fix but it did seem to help with one of those crazy deep rooted spots.  I didn't find it nearly as drying as most other spot treatments as well.
Container:  Mini tube - a litle smaller than the Bare Minerals eye shadow
Buy?: Maybe, it depends on the price.

So that's what Ipsy had this month.  One thing that I don't like with Ipsy is that since they don't sell the products from their site you don't get the price and other information you find at Birchbox.  This was a good bag.  Not the best but still fun.  Can't wait for next month!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! I'm already at my limit at what I can spend monthly, so am not in a position right now where I can subscribe to something like this, but I wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have justified it because my makeup spending has gone down significantly. I don't remember the last time I had to buy makeup! The main problem is I've found products I absolutely love that are far outside my normal price range!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun splurge for you to get both Ipsy and Birchbox each month. I would have to pass on these, as I am not much of a make-up gal anymore except on special occasions, but my younger daughter would probably love this idea, so I am going to point her to the sites. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fun but definitely not for everyone!

      Delete
  3. How cool! I've thought about signing up for something like this, but I don't think I'd end up using up the stuff and then it would stalk pile. But tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does happen. I have to be pretty vigilant about either using it or giving it away. Luckily most of it I've used.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of Ipsy. It looks like good products though even though they are more department store type brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely on the cheaper end though every once in awhile they surprise you and I've gotten some great quality brushes.

      Delete