Saturday, July 12, 2014

Boiled Over - Review

Boiled Over by Barbara Ross

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Source: NetGalley

Description:  Julia Snowden is trying to keep her family's clambake business afloat when she gets roped into being on the board for Founder's weekend.  Things going from chaotic to nightmarish when a body turns up in the fire that's keeping the clambake cooking and one of the Snowden employees is suspected.

Genre: Mystery

Why I Picked This Book:  The cover caught my eye and it sounded like an unusual premise for a cozy.

My Impression:

Pros:  This was a really fun mystery.  I enjoyed how the mystery unfolded page by page.  We got more and more information about the boy Julia's trying to help and the victim as the story went on.  The flashbacks were short enough to give you a picture of the events and characters without so long that it got confusing. Seeing Julia's struggle with identity and figuring out where she fit in added some depth to the character and humanized her a bit.  The history of the place and the connection of the characters was interesting and it made Busman's Harbor seem like a real place.  The pacing was very good and while not an action packed thriller I kept turning the pages because I wanted to find out what happened next.  There was always a new theory to be explored or a new piece of evidence to deal with.  I could have easily read this book in one sitting if life hadn't kept intervening!  While this is the 2nd in the series it can be read as a stand alone.  I had not read the first one and had no problem figuring out what was going on or identifying the characters.  While there are mentions of the first book - just enough to get you curious if you haven't read it - there are also no spoilers.

Cons: Julia is a serious busybody.  She's trying to help and her intentions seem sincere which makes it not so bad but she does a lot of showing up at people's houses and asking questions.  I could have had less focus on her personal life and more focus on the available suspects.

Overall: This is a fun mystery in an interesting setting with likable characters.  I'm definitely looking forward to another visit to Busman's Harbor.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  Yes, actually about halfway through this book I discovered the first one in the series was on sale and bought that it.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes.  This is a fun cozy!

3 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this one for a while. I don't really like busybody characters but I'll probably give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've come across this series yet - no, wait, I think I did see the first one on several blogs when it came out. I can get get annoyed at busybody characters too, but the setting and premise are interesting, and if you liked it enough to buy the first one, I think I'll give it a try. Eventually! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be a real balance, can't it, between the main plot line and the personal life of characters is books like this? It sounds like a good one just the same! I am glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete