Thursday, January 18, 2024

My Favorite Cozy Mysteries of 2023

 

When I made my list of favorite reads of 2023 I realized that cozy mysteries were sadly under represented - especially since they are probably the genre I read the most of.  While I love my cozies they tend to not stand out so much when it comes to favorite rankings - especially when it comes to heavier hitting emotional books.  But they still deserve their moment in the sun so here are my favorite cozy mysteries from 2023.  I'm basing this list on what I read in 2023 and not necessarily the date the book was published.



1.  On Spine of Death by Tamara Berry - This is a fun series with a main character that would normally drive me crazy but is so well done that it just comes off as her quirks and her daughter is such fun.

2.  Death by Demo by Callie Carpenter - This was a really refreshing cozy mystery with a likable main character and an interesting premise.  This is definitely a series I'm looking forward to reading more of.

3.  An American in Scotland by Lucy Connelly - This was a fun book with a Scottish setting and an interesting premise.  

4.  Death by Dumpling by Vivien Chien - I really liked this book set in a Little Asia area in Ohio and centered around the main character's parents' Noodle House.

5.  Hard Dough Homicide by Olivia Matthews - This is the second book in the Spice Isle Bakery series but the first book I read and it was a total delight!  


6.  Crowned and Moldering by Kate Carlisle - I'm really enjoying this series about a home renovater and this mystery that dug into the past was one of my favorites.

7.  Dark Night by Paige Shelton - I've enjoyed this series set in a small town in Alaska.  It's a bit grittier than the usual cozy and has a number of interesting subplots.

8.  Catch Me If You Candy by Ellie Alexander - I can't write a Favorite Cozy list without an Ellie Alexander book making an appearance.  Halloween in Ashland was quite the experience.

9.  Color Me Murder by Krista Davis - I really enjoyed this cozy mystery involving a bookstore manager who is also an artist and uses her sketches to help her process information.  

10. Fatal Folio by Elizabeth Penny - This mystery involves a library in a castle so it had to be on a favorites list.

This was by far the hardest favorites list I've ever made!  I love almost all my cozies and I could have easily written a top 20 or 30 list.  Narrowing it down to 10 was tough!  

5 comments:

  1. The library in the castle would be my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should bookmark this post. However it does make me doubly decided to get on to the Lucy Connolly series set in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read the Paige Shelton.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought both On Spine of Death and Death by Dumpling were very fun reads. I liked them a lot. Haven't read any of the others on your list, but I'm intrigued by Fatal Folio and An American in Scotland. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored Fatal Folio. I also liked Death by Demo. I haven't read any of the others but hope to.

    ReplyDelete