Saturday, January 13, 2024

Classic Mystery List for 2024

 

For the last few years I've made a list of classic mysteries to read and this year is no different!  Here are 10 books in the classic mystery genre I'm looking forward to reading.


1.  Death on the Agenda by Patricia Moyes - I have really enjoyed books by this author and am liking reading the Henry Tibbett books in order.  

2.  A Deadly Affair by Agatha Christie - This is a collection of Christie short stories.  I've most likely read all the stories before but never in this collection.

3.  A Late Phoenix by Catherine Aird - Catherine Aird is another author I'm reading through chronologically.

4.  Pursuit of a Parcel by Patricia Wentworth - I've had this older Patricia Wentworth sitting around for ages and now is the time to read it!

5.  Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers - This is the next Lord Peter Wimsey mystery on my list to read.  I've been kind of iffy on this author so this may be one of my last books unless I really enjoy it.  


6.  The Man in Lower Ten by Mary Roberts Rinehart - I have really loved everything I've read by this author even though she isn't the best at endings so I'm really looking forward to this one.

7.  The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey - I really enjoyed the Tey book I read this year so I figured I'd give her another try and this one looks interesting.

8.  Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart - This is the next book by Mary Stewart I have to read and this one is under her gothic suspense list so I'm looking forward to it.

9.  Nothing Venture by Patricia Wentworth - And another book by Wentworth!  I always enjoy her books so I couldn't resist adding in a second book.

10. Overture to Death by Ngaio Marsh - This isn't the next Inspector Alleyn book chronologically but it's the next one I have and that will have to do!

Do you enjoy classic mysteries?  Have you read any of these?

9 comments:

  1. I love Mary Stewart's books and every now and then I reread her mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I've read all the Christie stories in that book, but like you, not sure if I read that compilation. Wildfire At Midnight is one of my favorite Mary Stewart books. I've probably read it 10 times or more. Love it. Set in Scotland on the Isle of Skye and I think it was one of the books that made me love books set in that area for all my reading life. I might need to read it again - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first Ngaio Marsh mystery on my list to read this year. And, of course, an Agatha Christie...I just haven't picked which one yet. And I love Mary Stewart! Her books are always fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers. I have read Mary Stewart, but not much and it's been a long time.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been reading the classics but these do sound good. I have to read a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy them! There are so many Mary Stewart gothics I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Late Phoenix is good. Strong Poison is one of my favorite Sayers books. Although I love Mary Steward, Wildfire at Midnight is one of my least favorites; it's atmospheric, but the heroine's relationship with the hero really bothers me. Overture to Death is good, and I love The Franchise Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you make lists, I find it is a good way to make sure you have a high chance of reading those books. Most names are familiar to me, although not likely to read any of them!

    ReplyDelete