Friday, January 26, 2024

Friday Fives - Five Short Reviews for Books I've Read Recently


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  Angel's Rest by Emily March - I have read several books in the Eternity Springs series and for the most part am really glad I did.  I loved seeing the origins of the Eternity Springs that has come to life in the books and Celeste's beginnings with the community.  I really liked Nic and her friends and her strong connection to the community that she lives in.  I was not so much a fan of Gabe and the romance part of it.  Gabe has a LOT of baggage and has survived a lot of trauma and while my heart broke for him he is so awful to Nic that I could never quite forgive him or believe his redemption.  I love Emily March's writing style and do want to continue reading the series in order but I don't think Gabe will ever be one of my favorite Eternity Springs residents.  My Rating: Liked It (3 Stars)


2.  Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros -
Fantasy is a genre I typically avoid and this book is exactly why.  It's long, there's lots of emotion, I have to remember what happened in the previous book, and I have to deal with a cliffhanger when the book ends.  That said, just like Fourth Wing I was completely caught up in this one and was sad when it ended.  There were moments when my jaw dropped, moments I cried, and lots of moments when I just didn't want to put this one down.   I will be counting days until the next book and the characters will be living in the edges of my mind until then.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


3.  Murder in an English Village by Jessica Ellicott -
This was my first audio book of 2024 and it was a fun book to start the year with!  Edwina is at the end of her financial rope when her dear friend from school, American adventuress Beryl Helliwell shows up.  Soon the two are in the middle of an investigation that starts in the middle of World War I with long reaching consequences.  Set shortly after World War I, this is a fun cozy mystery with great characters and an interesting setting in a small English village that is recovering from war.  This is definitely a series I'm looking forward to continuing with.  My Rating:  Really Liked It (4 Stars)


4.  Thale's Folly by Dorothy Gilman -
This was another first book of 2024 and it was an absolute delight.  There's an old house, a quirky group of characters, some found family goodness, and more than a couple of characters looking for their purpose.  It's a quick read that's sweet without being saccharine and a bit funny and just a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to reading more of Dorothy Gilman's fiction and finishing up her Mrs. Pollifax books.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


5.  None of This is True by Lisa Jewell -
I have really enjoyed everything I've read by this author and this may be my favorite one yet.  Alix and Josie meet at a restaurant on their 45th birthday and things quickly go out of control.  Just what is happening is not always clear but I was hooked from beginning to end.  This was fantastic on audio with wonderful main narrators and a full cast for the podcast and series parts.  Seeing the different sides of the same story definitely kept me guessing and hooked from the beginning.  I will definitely be reading more Lisa Jewell and if you're looking for a fast paced read with an "ordinary" bad guy this one would be hard to beat.  I can't recommend the audio book enough.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)  

4 comments:

  1. I've read 3 of these 2,4,5.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one of the Edwina and Beryl books last summer and really enjoyed it. I want to go back and start from the beginning now. Lisa Jewell's book sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really enjoyed None of this is True. Loved the audio but was really glad to have it in print too. I enjoyed your post and will post my January mini reviews at the end of the month. Have a great weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. People seem to either love or hate Fourth Wing. I have it on hold through Libby, but there's still a waiting list months long. I'm really curious what is turning people off. Ha ha. 😅

    ReplyDelete