Saturday, April 9, 2022

Wait For What Will Come - Keeper Shelf Reviews

Goodreads:  Wait For What Will Come by Barbara Michaels

Rating:  Really Liked It!
Source:   Purchased

Description:  She was the last of an ancient Cornish clan, and Carla Tregellas had inherited the pride of her family name—a huge mansion that loomed high above the jagged cliffs of Cornwall. She felt at home there right from the start, for everyone seemed so kind and welcoming. Everyone except Mrs. Pendennis, the eccentric housekeeper who advised Carla to leave at once to deter a tragic and inevitable fate. But Carla could not leave—for the invisible bonds of an ancestral curse were just beginning to take hold...

Genre: Fiction

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm reading through the books on my keeper shelf to see if they still deserve their place.  

My Impression:  I didn't remember this one so I wasn't sure if it would go back to the Keeper Shelf but I ended up really enjoying it. Michaels has a gift for atmosphere and pacing and never fails to suck me in.  This creepy old house on a cliff in Cornwall may just be Michaels' most Gothic setting yet and she leans into it with a family curse, a moody housekeeper, a surly gardener, and an overly friendly lawyer who also happens to have a sister who may or may not be a prisoner. And that's just to name a few.  

The plot is a bit predictable - especially if you aren't new to Micheals - and the romance wasn't my favorite but I enjoyed the book so much that neither of these issues really bothered me.  If you love a good Gothic-y read then this would be a good one to pick up!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I have a whole stack of Michaels books to reread and am looking forward to them.

Would I Recommend this Book? Definitely!  If you're looking for a fun read with a tiny touch of spookiness Michaels cannot be beat.  Her books are my favorite pick for ending a reading slump.

4 comments:

  1. Terrific review. I like a bit of spookiness in my books, and I don't mind a predictable plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I haven't read this author yet. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a bit gothic. I don't think i have ever read Barbara Michaels and I should because you like her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound really good! I haven't had a chance to read this author yet.

    ReplyDelete