Saturday, April 23, 2022

Dead Men Don't Ski - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: Dead Men Don't Ski (Inspector Henry Tibbett Mystery #1) by Patricia Moyes

Rating: Really Liked It!
Source:   Purchased

Description:  Vacationing in the Italian Alps, Scotland Yard Inspector Henry Tibbett and his wife, Emmy, discover an international smuggling ring and an unexpected murder

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I read a couple of books by this author years ago and remember enjoying them so I wanted to go back and read them in order.

My Impression:   I have fond memories of enjoying the few books by Patricia Moyes that I found more than a number of years ago but it's been probably 20 years since I read any of her books.  I started with the first Henry Tibbett mystery and very much enjoyed it.  Henry Tibbett is a mild looking Scotland Yard Inspector who most people wouldn't give a second look but has incredibly canny instincts and a "nose" for investigation.  Also, in this mystery is his wife Emmy who is upbeat and sensible and just incredibly nice.  If I was at an Italian ski resort forced to interact with the other patron Henry and Emmy are the kind of people who I would hope would be there.  There is a whole host of other characters from a range of backgrounds and a number of different countries.  

The mystery itself is rather intricate which occasionally gets a little confusing as there are a lot of names and personalities to keep track of.  This did slow down the pacing at times though did not dim my enjoyment of the mystery.  If you are looking for a slightly slower paced mystery that is well plotted with a likable and intelligent main detective this is a great choice!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I'm really looking forward to reading more from Patricia Moyes and seeing more of Henry and Emmy Tibbett.  

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you enjoy classic mysteries and don't mind a slightly slower pace I don't think you can miss with this one!

2 comments:

  1. I have not read anything by Patricia Moyes, but she sounds like an excellent author

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should give a classic mystery a try. This sounds like something that I would probably enjoy.

    ReplyDelete