Thursday, April 21, 2022

Books from the Backlog - The Quick


Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!


Goodreads:  The Quick by Lauren Owen

Blurb:  London, 1892: James Norbury, a shy would-be poet newly down from Oxford, finds lodging with a charming young aristocrat. Through this new friendship, he is introduced to the drawing-rooms of high society, and finds love in an unexpected quarter. Then, suddenly, he vanishes without a trace. Unnerved, his sister, Charlotte, sets out from their crumbling country estate determined to find him. In the sinister, labyrinthine city that greets her, she uncovers a secret world at the margins populated by unforgettable characters: a female rope walker turned vigilante, a street urchin with a deadly secret, and the chilling “Doctor Knife.” But the answer to her brother’s disappearance ultimately lies within the doors of one of the country’s preeminent and mysterious institutions: The Aegolius Club, whose members include the most ambitious, and most dangerous, men in England.

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  This is book that's been on my NetGalley longest and I never even attempted to read it.  I've seen some really mixed reviews for it but reading over the summary it sounds like it could be pretty fascinating.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine! I don't know how and from where I know this book, but I do... Maybe I also checked it out on Netgalley, but it's not on my shelf no. I also think there is a lot of potential for this book to be a good read....

    I hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it could be good. I haven't even tried to read my oldest NetGalley book either. Of course, it is a 1,800 page trilogy so it will probably be the last one I tackle on my past due list. I hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a big possibility and for the right reader could be a success I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it could be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does have an interesting premise! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of those ancient books on NetGalley, too! Ha ha. This one does sound interesting. 📚

    ReplyDelete