Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Mrs. Pollifax on Safari - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax #5) by Dorothy Gilman

Rating: Loved It!
Source:   Purchased

Description:  Now the incredible Mrs. Pollifax has been sent on a safari to smoke out a very clever international assassin whose next target is the president of Zambia.
“Just take a lot of pictures of everyone on that safari,” the CIA man told her. “One of them has to be our man.”
It sounded simple enough. But it wasn’t. Because shortly after Mrs. Pollifax started taking pictures, someone stole her film. And right after that she was kidnapped by Rhodesian terrorists. And right after that—well, read for yourself....

Genre: Mystery - Adventure

Why I Picked This Book:   I'm reading all the Mrs. Pollifax books in chronological order and this was the next one up.

My Impression: This was so much fun!  I was in a bit of a grumpy mood book-wise when I picked this one up and it was like a breath of fresh air.  Mrs. Pollifax goes from practicing karate in her living room to undercover on a safari in Zambia.  The only thing more exciting then her new hat is the possibility to connect with an old friend.

This was a fun bit of nonsense.  It's entirely unrealistic but so much fun.  Emily Pollifax is a woman of great resources and tons of common sense.  She's quick on her feet and nice with a good dash of humor.  It was interesting to see her not only in a perilous situation but in a decision where she really has to choose who to protect.  While she has been in plenty of dangerous situations before this is the first where she is under real mental stress.   And even better she may just have met her match in the best possible way.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series so far and this just may have been my favorite.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Absolutely!  I'm looking forward to seeing where Mrs. Pollifax goes next!

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you can let go of the need for believability and just go along for the ride then you really must give this a try.  It's such fun!

7 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite Mrs. Pollifax books. I've read it more than once, but it's been a long time since my last reread. Another favorite of mine in the series is when she goes to China. I think you can look forward to that one. Have they ever made a TV adaptation of this series. There might have been one or maybe a movie. Honestly, I think it would be great fun. We have Agatha Raisin now - why not Emily Pollifax?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfull review. I love a well written bit of nonsense! It sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mrs. Pollifax. I've read them all and used to have most in print until I cut down on print books.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of Mrs Polifax - I love that there is humour and fun in the story, and I never worry too much about how possible it really would be. Great it picked you up off the floor reading wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a bunch of Polifax books and I need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love it when a book is able to change your mood. This does sound like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first five in the series are my favorites in the series. They are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete