Thursday, February 10, 2022

Books from the Backlog - The Body in the Garden


Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!


Goodreads:  The Body in the Garden by Katharine Schellman

Blurb:  London 1815. Though newly-widowed Lily Adler is returning to a society that frowns on independent women, she is determined to create a meaningful life for herself even without a husband. She's no stranger to the glittering world of London's upper crust. At a ball thrown by her oldest friend, Lady Walter, she expects the scandal, gossip, and secrets. What she doesn't expect is the dead body in Lady Walter's garden.
Lily overheard the man just minutes before he was shot: young, desperate, and attempting blackmail. But she's willing to leave the matter to the local constables--until Lord Walter bribes the investigating magistrate to drop the case. Stunned and confused, Lily realizes she's the only one with the key to catching the killer.

Aided by a roguish navy captain and a mysterious heiress from the West Indies, Lily sets out to discover whether her friend's husband is mixed up in blackmail and murder. The unlikely team tries to conceal their investigation behind the whirl of London's social season, but the dead man knew secrets about people with power. Secrets that they would kill to keep hidden. Now, Lily will have to uncover the truth, before she becomes the murderer's next target. 

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  This isn't technically on my shelf but it is on my library TBR and I accidentally got the 3rd book in this series from NetGalley without realizing it was the 3rd book.  Now I need to read the 1st 2 before this comes out in August so I'll be caught up.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun series! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it just might be the kind of read you like. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just finished my second book by this author. I like her Lily very much. A feisty woman indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading a lot of earlier books in a series so I can catch up for a book that I have from NetGalley lately. This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is on my TBR list too! (My very, very long TBR list.) I think I have it in my Kindle collection somewhere.

    ReplyDelete