Monday, February 14, 2022

Mini Reviews - 2 Cozy Mysteries

 

Goodreads:  Death in the English Countryside (Murder on Location #1) by Sara Rosett

Blurb:  Location scout and Jane Austen aficionado, Kate Sharp, is thrilled when the company she works for lands the job of finding locations for a new film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, but then her boss, Kevin, fails to return from a scouting trip to England. Afraid that Kevin has slipped back into some destructive personal habits he struggles with, Kate travels to England to salvage Kevin’s and the company’s reputation before word gets out that he is missing.
Things go from bad to worse when Kate arrives in Nether Woodsmoor, a quaint village of golden stone cottages and rolling green hills, only to find no trace of Kevin except his abandoned luggage. Even the rumpled, easygoing local scout they consulted, Alex, doesn’t know where Kevin might be.

Increasingly worried about Kevin and with an antsy director waiting for updates about the preproduction details, Kate embarks on a search that includes a pub-crawl and cozy cottages as well as stately country manors. But Kevin remains missing, and she begins to suspect that the picturesque village and beautiful countryside may not be as idyllic as they seem.

My Thoughts:  This was an interesting premise and an enjoyable mystery.  Kate is likable and is relatively quick with sharing with the police which is always nice.  I did figure out the mystery well before the reveal but I enjoyed getting their and seeing how it all unraveled.  I liked the Austen references and the English countryside descriptions that are sprinkled throughout but didn't go overboard.  I'm curious to see what happens next for Kate and am looking forward to reading more about the location scouting.  If you are looking for a quick light read in a beautiful setting and with mostly likable characters this is a good one to pick up.  My Rating Liked It.



Blurb:  When historian Jaya Jones receives a mysterious package containing a jewel-encrusted artifact from India, sent by her ex-lover the same day he died in a supposed accident in the Highlands of Scotland, she discovers the secrets of a lost Indian treasure may be hidden in a Scottish legend from the days of the British Raj.
But she's not the only one on the trail.

From San Francisco to London to the Highlands of Scotland, Jaya must evade a shadowy stalker as she follows hints from the hastily scrawled note of her dead lover to a remote archaeological dig. Helping her decipher the cryptic clues are her magician best friend, a devastatingly handsome art historian with something to hide, and a charming archaeologist running for his life.

When a member of the dig's crew is murdered, Jaya must figure out which of the scholars vying for her affections might be the love of her life--and which one is a killer.

My Thoughts:  Several years ago I picked up a review copy of a later book in this series but have never gotten around to reading it as I wanted to get caught up first.  This is a fun series.  I like the mix of history, treasure hunting, and crime.  Jaya is an interesting character.  While she does have a broad knowledge of British or Indian history her knowledge of her field is impressive and she is a competent investigator.  I really enjoyed the addition of Lane with all his mysteriousness.  The mystery was a fun one.  It's a bit far fetched but if you enjoy a good treasure hunt and some history mixed in I think you'll enjoy this one.  I'm curious to see how this series develops.  My Rating: Liked It

7 comments:

  1. I like the setting for Death in the English Countryside. Will check it out. I haven't been very active with the blogs recently but I have been reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both sound good, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both are set in wonderful locations! I love the idea of finding film locations for P&P. And am intrigued by the link between the Scottish Highlands and India! Fabulous reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one is the one that appeals to me, like the countryside and Austen references.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of them look good. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you enjoyed these. I especially like the sound of Artifact. There's just something about going on a treasure hunt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these sound really enjoyable. Artifact really does appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete