Friday, February 11, 2022

Friday Fives - Five Historical True Crime Books on My TBR


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  True crime has never been a genre that really appealed to me but in the last few years I've picked up a few historical true crimes and enjoyed them and found so many more that I want to read.  Here are 5 on my TBR.


1.  A Different Class of Murder: The Story of Lord Lucan by Laura Thompson -I've watched a documentary about this one but don't remember much and this author is one I've heard great things about.


2.  The Girls of Murder City: Fame, Lust, and the Beautiful Killers Who Inspired Chicago by Douglas Perry - How can I resist that subtitle?


3.  Little Demon in the City of Light: A True Story of Murder and Mesmerism in Belle Epoque Paris by Steven Levingston - This story sounds absolutely bananas and I'm really looking forward to reading it.  


4.  The Irish Game by Matthew Hart - I'm reading an art heist book and am enjoying it and this one about an art theft set in Ireland sounds interesting.


5.  Careless People: Murder, Mayhem, and the Invention of The Great Gatsby by Sarah Churchwell - This one sounds like it could be really interesting or kind of a stretch to connect two different stories.  It's about "the murder of the decade" that inspired Fitzgerald's book.

Do you read historical true crime?

6 comments:

  1. I used to love true crime books about serial killers and such, but I just can't stomach them anymore. An art heist, though? That I could handle. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't keep up on blogs like I should (maybe every couple of weeks or so I check in) but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your blog. I enjoy reading about your reading life, am cheering on your son and his medical challenges, and find the puppy entrancing (mainly because he's living with you and not me:)
    I wanted to thank you for turning me on to the Secret, Book and Scone Society series. They are fabulous, I've finished all of them at this point.
    I'm go glad that you have found the Mrs. Pollifax books. They're my comfort books, the ones I turn to when life is overwhelming and I need a friend. Besides the first one, since it was such fun to meet Mrs. Pollifax, "Mrs. Pollifax on Safari" is my favorite as who doesn't love a mystery and romance? Thanks for many enjoyable hours of reading your blog and best of wishes for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am read a true crime book right now but it is more current. I have a feeling that I would really enjoy a historical true crime novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually read true crime but these do sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True crime isn't a genre I gravitate towards generally, but sometimes I can't resist--and these all sound good! I especially like historical true crime. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can cope with some fiction in this area but true crime, I'll leave happily to you! I know of some who ardently listen to podcasts and watch TV in this genre but happy to leave them to it as well!

    ReplyDelete