Saturday, February 26, 2022

Anna, Where Are You? - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: Anna, Where Are You? by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Really Liked It!
Source:   Purchased

Description:  The delightful Miss Maud Silver is at it again in this engrossing mystery. When a young governess named Anna Ball disappears, Miss Silver is called in to investigate. As she intensifies her search for the solution to the governess's mysterious disappearance, the suspense and terror mount.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

My Impression:  This was my first book of the year and if this was an omen for how my reading will go for the rest of 2022 it will be an unexpected but good year.  From the blurb I kind of had an idea of how this book was going to be but I wasn't even close.

The main character, Thomasina, is a relatively typical Wentworth heroine.  She's reasonable attractive and intelligent.  There's a love interest floating around who is a little more bossy then I would put up with but isn't too bad given the date the book was published.    But while Thomasina is the Wentworth heroine, Miss Silver actually is the main character.  She takes a more active role in the investigation and actually goes in undercover as a governess much to Inspector Frank Abbott's dismay.  I loved seeing her in her full governess role and it is easy to see why so many of her former pupils are still so fond of her and loyal to her.  

The mystery itself is a touch darker then the usual Miss Silver book and far from the usual more straightforward story.  The end took me by surprise and I enjoyed seeing Miss Silver in a more active role in a darker environment.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I'm already looking forward to the next book.

Would I Recommend this Book?   Yes!  This was a solid mystery and a fun read.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your first book of the year was a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound really good and I like the idea of Miss Silver taking on the role of governess. One day I just have to meet her!

    ReplyDelete