Monday, March 7, 2022

The Year of Projects - Consigned to Death + Women Heroes of World War II


I do love a good list.  It gives a nice sense of order and focus and I love making lists about the books I want to read.  Last year I focused just on series I was behind on.  The project went great and I caught up on a ton of series but I felt like I was neglecting other books on my shelf and books at my library.  This year I have a few lists going - Series, Library, Clear Off My Shelves, and a random TBR Bingo where I pull books off my Goodreads TBR.  Here are a few of my most recent reads.


Goodreads:  Consigned to Death (Josie Prescott Antiques #1) by Jane K. Cleland

Project:  Catch Up on Series

Blurb:  After a price-fixing scandal at her prestigious New York auction house, Josie Prescott moves to the New Hampshire coast to restore her reputation--and perhaps a few antiques along the way.

As an antiques dealer, Josie knows how to make an honest assessment, and she's about to land her largest account. But when the owner of the collection is found stabbed to death, Josie's fingerprints are all over his possessions…and the murder weapon. Suddenly Josie's innocence appears as tarnished as an old relic. Everybody's got their eyes on her, especially the local police chief who may or may not be in love with her. Now it's just a matter of time before Josie can produce enough evidence to clear her name--or fall into the clutches of the real killer and find herself

My Thoughts:  I love antiques and the stories behind them so I was immediately attracted to this series.  I have read the later books but I wanted to go back to the beginning.  This is a solid cozy opening.  Josie is a capable antiques business owner with a bit of a backstory and a few trusted employees.  When a potential client is found murdered she is immediately suspected and pulled into the investigation.  I really loved Josie's investigation into the paintings but wish it could have been more in depth.  This was a good start to a series and I'm looking forward to seeing how the series and relationships develop.  My Rating: Liked It


Project:  TBR Bingo

Blurb:  Noor Inayat Khan was the first female radio operator sent into occupied France and transferred crucial messages. Johtje Vos, a Dutch housewife, hid Jews in her home and repeatedly outsmarted the Gestapo. Law student Hannie Schaft became involved in the most dangerous resistance work--sabotage, weapons transference, and assassinations. In these pages, young readers will meet these and many other similarly courageous women and girls who risked their lives to help defeat the Nazis.

Twenty-six engaging and suspense-filled stories unfold from across Germany, Poland, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Denmark, Great Britain, and the United States, providing an inspiring reminder of women and girls’ refusal to sit on the sidelines around the world and throughout history.

An overview of World War II and summaries of each country’s entrance and involvement in the war provide a framework for better understanding each woman’s unique circumstances, and resources for further learning follow each profile. Women Heroes of World War II is an invaluable addition to any student’s or history buff’s bookshelf.

My Thoughts:  This book highlights a fascinating array of women from teenagers to grandmothers who all played a crucial part in the Allies fight in World War II.  It also encompasses women from all walks of life.  There are college students and social workers, housewives, socialites and even the celebrity Josephine Baker (why on earth did we not learn about her in school??  That woman is absolutely fascinating).  Not all of their stories ended happily and most of the women dealt with some horrific treatment during their war work.  The author doesn't go into detail on some of the worst stuff but she also doesn't gloss over it or put a happy face on it.  I also loved how at the end of each chapter she includes several other resources to find out more about the woman in the chapter.   The writing is a little bit clunky but the stories are interesting enough that I was so glad I read it.  This a Middle Grade book and I think it would be a fantastic addition for kids maybe 10 to 14 who are studying World War II or women's history.  My Rating: Really Liked It!

3 comments:

  1. I do enjoy books about women in WWII. Sad that their accomplishments have been mostly ignored until recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of the book about women in WWII. I feel like there is a lot to be learned about that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find listing books does help to keep an eye on what I want to read. Following your example a little. The war one sounds very informative, but hard to read in parts I would think.

    ReplyDelete