Saturday, March 5, 2022

Life with Leukemia, A Puppy, and Some Reading


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


When Blood Lies by C.S. Harris - I've enjoyed the books I've read in this series and this one sounds really great.  (Publisher)

Steeped to Death by Gretchen Rue - This is the first book in a new cozy series involving a tea shop and I'm looking forward to it. (Publisher)

When the Crow's Away by Auralee Wallace - I enjoyed the first book in this witch-y cozy mystery series so of course I had to pick up the second book in the series! (Publisher)

A Perilous Perspective by Anna Lee Huber - While I want to go back and read the early books in this series I have really enjoyed the later books and this one sounds fantastic.  (Publisher)

Murder on Madison Square by Victoria Thompson - Another latest in a favorite series and another series that I really need to go back and read the early books in.  (Publisher)

Currently:


Reading:  Under Lock and Skeleton Key by Gig Pandian and The Watersplash by Patricia Wentworth

Listening:  A Wicked Conceit by Anna Lee Huber





What a week!  Will got his feeding tube back in his nose which he was really dreading.  Unfortunately, with the chemo messing with his taste buds and causing lots of nausea he just wasn't able to eat enough.  He was a champ through the process and the therapy dog was able to be there to lick his toes and distract him which was nice.  And then Will was able to snuggle the dog and feed him ice chips afterwards which was a good distraction.  Since he's able to be mobile we are doing feeds a bit different so he doesn't haven't to be hooked up to a pump for an extended period of time and so far it's working pretty well.  And to add insult to injury this is a steroid week so he's not sleeping super great.   The good thing is we've added in some medicines that seem to be helping counteract some of the pain and mood side effects so it's been an easier steroid week than usual.

Rover had puppy class and then a fun play date with one of his dog friends.  They chased each other for ages and then sat and watched ducks together.  It was super cute.  Then yesterday we went and visited my dad's puppy.  While Rover is also still a puppy he's MUCH bigger and much faster so the pup was a bit nervous.  They did play a bit together and I think once they get used to each other they'll be good friends.  After we went over to my mother's and he explored over there for a bit and had a good time.  One the way home he was wiped out!  I'm trying to get him used to going new places and being able to stay calm and relaxed so we can take him anywhere.   He's gone with me to pick up takeout a few times to get used to people coming to the car who don't necessarily want to interact with him and to get him used to having food in the car that isn't for him.  So far he's doing well.  He starts his first real obedience class next week and I'm looking forward to it.  I really enjoy working with him.

Have a great week and happy reading!

21 comments:

  1. Aww cute pics! That's a bummer about the tube but glad the dog is able to help! And hoping he feels betetr this week...

    I am going to try Huber this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Will is doing okay overall. A feeding tube doesn't sound like any fun to me. And I love reading about Rover's latest adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a rough week for Will but, he seems like he adapts well - probably better than most adults. Glad you had some good books to distract you and, well Rover is the cutest of all distractions:) Hope this is a better week for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss having a dog! Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that Will had to have the feeding tube again, but glad that he is doing well overall.
    Those pics of the dogs are so cute, especially Rover with his friend watching the ducks!
    I am curious to see what you think of Under Lock and Skeleton Key, I worry about newer looking cozies not being to cozy as I have come across some, they call them millennial cozies. :(

    Have a great week and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that Will is struggling with the feeding tube. Dogs are such a comfort, I love Rover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that Will has distractions that can help. Here's hoping for a better week ahead.

    Your books look good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The two dogs in front of the water view, so picturesque and peaceful. Nice. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pictures. I'm glad Will had a therapy dog there to help distract him while he got his feeding tube back in. I can only imagine how hard that would be, especially for a child. I hope the feeding tube helps and he can improve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your son is so very resiliant and brave. I don't think I could handle things as well and he is amazing. Rover sure is huge now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh When Blood Lies cover draws my attention immediately.

    Bummer for the feeding tube, but Will appears to be a real champ and handling it well.

    I do hope you are taking care of yourself!

    Lots of Love,

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rover sure is getting bigger and I love how you are introducing him to new places. His play date sounds like it burnt off a lot of energy. Enjoy the Lady Darby books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that Will is doing fine, even though I'm not sure about the feeding tube. Hope you have a great week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry about the feeding tube. I'm so glad the therapy dog helps Will so much. I love the pics. Enjoy your books and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry that Will had to get the feeding tube back and steriods to boot. It is great that they have therapy dogs there to help comfort kiddos. Rover is such a cutie and it seems like he is learning a lot. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad that even with difficult procedures this week Will had some things to mitigate the pain. It's great Rover is doing well. Lulu loves the chase game. I love both Sebastian ST. Cyr books and also the mysteries by Victoria Thompson.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are the second person that has recommended the Sebastian St. Cyr series to me. I really need to get started on it! The puppy pictures are adorable. They made me smile 🙂. Hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry Will had such a tough week... he's been such a trooper. The puppy pictures are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Support dogs are wonderful. Will is a trooper and you Momma are a warrior.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Better that Will has more energy and strength with getting the proper nutrition, and yay for having Comet as a distraction. That is Comet, correct? ❤

    Puppies! The photo of Rover and his buddy watching the ducks is extra cute. 🤗 Your dad's puppy is super cute, too. 😊

    I hope you are having a good week. 🌞

    ReplyDelete