Saturday, August 19, 2023

Enter a Murderer - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn #2) by Ngaio Marsh

Rating: Really Liked It (4 Star)
Source:   Publisher

Description:  The crime scene was the stage of the Unicorn Theatre, when prop gun fired a very real bullet; the victim was an actor clawing his way to stardom using bribery instead of talent; and the suspects included two unwilling girlfriends and several relieved blackmail victims. The stage is set for one of Roderick Alleyn's most baffling cases…

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm trying to read more classic mysteries and Marsh is an author I've read a few books by but never in any kind of order and not enough.

My Impression:  Marsh always has a bit of a theatrical feel to her mysteries and this one really did as it took place not just on a theater but onstage during a play.  

As usual Alleyn is at his slightly ironic best complete with ulterior motives, self-deprecating banter and a sharp eye.  Nigel Bathgate makes a good sidekick with his enthusiasm and journalism perspective,  I did miss Angela but was glad to see him mention her a few times.  Inspector Fox is very much a side character in this mystery.  We see him only occasionally and in a cameo type role.

The mystery is interesting and did keep me guessing and ended with a surprise.  I would have liked the solution and motive a bit more fleshed out but this is a short book and a quick read and excess reasons just didn't fit in the script.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Yes of course!  This is the Roderick Alleyn book I've read in chronological order and I'm really enjoying getting to know him and the rest of the characters in the series.

Would I Recommend this Book? If you enjoy classic mysteries I think Roderick Alleyn is a good detective to get to know.  He isn't as engaging as Christie's Poirot but he is still entertaining and Marsh produces a good mystery.

4 comments:

  1. I have her first book on my TBR list; I enjoy reading classic mysteries, too, and have been meaning to try one of hers for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this author a long time ago, like more than 30 years probably and didn't like it much. But I've grown and maybe should try again.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good classic mystery, even if I don't read them enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you are reading so many classics in they mystery genre. I did read Ngaio Marsh as she is from here, but a long time ago when there was little else to read. I am only small time mystery reader.

    ReplyDelete