Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Hidden Gem Books in the Middle Grade Genre

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is 10 Hidden Gem Books in X Genre.  I've really been enjoying Middle Grade lately and am focusing on that list and added a few picture books to make an even 10!  I'm honestly not sure how hidden these are but I do think they all deserved some more attention!10

1.  Summer of the Woods by Steven K. Smith - This series revolves around 2 brothers and a friend who have all kinds of adventures.  Most of the adventures have a historical element that manages to stay entertaining without getting text book-y and I must admit I've learned a thing or two!

2.  Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery - Okay, so this isn't really a HIDDEN gem but this is one of the books that doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should.  I love Anne and Emily but I think in real life I'd want to be friends with Jane.  She's smart and practical and a little bit mischievous.

3.  The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright - Well really all of the Melendy books.  These aren't exactly hidden but they're not as well known as they should be.  While some aspects are dated the books are still a lot of fun and it's nice to remember what kids did before electronics!

4. Belles on Their Toes by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey - Cheaper by the Dozen is one of my favorite middle grade books but frankly this sequel needs more love.  It fun to see the Dozen grow up and I loved that the mother, Lillian, took more of a leading role in this one.

5.  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming - While most people of heard of this book it seems that the movie is what is more familiar.  The book is amazing and David Tennant narrates a version of the audio which makes it absolutely magic to listen to.

6.  The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley - My daughter Emma discovered this in 4th or 5th grade and promptly became obsessed with them.  I read a few and could definitely see the appeal.  The modern day Sisters Grimm are pretty tough and pretty great at saving the day without much help.

7.  Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott - Okay confession time - I was not a Little Women fan.  I tolerated Little Men and I loved Jo's Boys but my favorite (after Eight Cousins) was Under the Lilacs about a boy and his dog who run away from the circus.  I read and reread my copy of this one until the binding fell apart.  It's one of those that I loved so much that I'm almost afraid to reread it!

8.  The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown - When the Tornado was a baby J and I frequently argued over the book Goodnight Moon.  I thought it was a perfect bedtime story and he thought it was super creepy.  This book by Margaret Wise Brown was one we agreed on without any problems.  This story about 2 kittens who are in charge of creating all the colors is just wonderful.

9.  Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw, Illustrated by Margot Apple - I bought this book when Emma was a baby (and we're going to pretend that wasn't 20 years ago) from a little catalog called A Common Reader which sadly no longer exists but was my kryponite at the time.  It's such a cute story and the illustrations add to the charm.

10. Bear Feels Scared by Karma Wilson, Illustrated by Jane Chapman - This was kind of a random bookstore buy that we basically ignored for a year and then when I finally read it we all fell in love with it and ended up buying the rest of the Bear books.  I loved while Bear is scared it never got scary to the reader and seemed to focus more on the helpers than on the scariness.

What Children's books do you think need more attention?

18 comments:

  1. Had no idea Chitty Chitty Bang was a book, but the movie sure was amazing. I like that you give us the opportunity to provide new books for our kiddies and grandchildren. Lots of great choices here. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent list! I love the Melendy books--the Penderwicks are my idea of a modern Melendy book. Also, the Color Kittens. I just plain HATE Goodnight Moon, lol. (Have you read the so-so novel, Goodnight June? About her?By Sarah Jio)The Gilbreths, Ian Fleming, LM Montgomery!! My heart is exploding!! Awesome job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can`t believe that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is after a book. I don`t read that much middle grade, but I`ll check these out.

    Carmen / Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I haven't heard of any of these but I'll have to keep them in mind. I like to read some middle grade every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need more good middle grades. The Color Kittens sounds cute, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sounds fun. Summer of the Woods too. I love it when a series is both fun and educational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know - I loved the Color Kittens and the Jane of Lantern Hill is a hidden gem to me so I must put it on my list after the Anne and Emily books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I definitely know the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie. I never read the book. I'm sure it's a good one. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang brings back so many happy memories - I loved that book:)). I don't know the others, but thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a book! I loved the movie, so I'm sure I'd enjoy the book as well. Thanks for telling us about it.

    Here is our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't even heard of most of these! I have read at least one Chitty Chitty Bang Bang book -- there are a few, aren't there? -- but that's it. I really need to try more of L.M. Montgomery's books. I've only read ANNE OF GREEN GABLES (a few times) and maybe (can't remember) one or two of the sequels. Gah! So many books, so little time ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read more middle grade books. I honest just don't seem to look for them. Some of these do sound like they are worth reading. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, just thinking about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang brings back fun childhood memories. Both the book and the movie are so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this take on the prompt, because I can't remember the last time I read a middle grade book! The Color of Kittens sounds adorable. My son is two, so I read Goodnight Moon a lot right now, I didn't even know that author had another book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. David Tennant narrates Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?! I'll have to listen to it for sure! :D

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I didn't know David Tennant narrated the book! And the fairy tale detective sounds right up my alley! Great list, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this list, Katherine! Thank you for sharing. Now I'm going to have to get a copy of the audio of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I love David Tennant. I love the sound of The Fairy-Tale Detectives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choices! I've been trying to find a copy of the Tennant-narrated CCBB, but so far none of the libraries I have access to has it. I read decades years ago, but would enjoy listening to it. And yay for The Saturdays series and Jane of Lantern Hill!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to read all of these! Sebastian had a book about a bunch of feral boy elves called Pyx. The illustrations were fantastic and by the end of the story the wild boys all.find homes and start to behave themselves. I have never seen it for sale anywhere, it's not on Goodreads, and I have never seen it mentioned on a blog. Weird. :)

    ReplyDelete