Friday, August 11, 2017

Friday LInkups - The Westing Game















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
Do you participate in readathons and/or reading challenges?

My Answer:  
I love the idea of readathons and reading challenges but I'm terrible at them.  I pretty much mean to participate in every readathon that I see but it always seems to not happen at the last second.  As for the challenges I signed up for several for the first few years of blogging but I'm awful at remembering to linkup or really track the books so I finally quit doing them.  I do the Goodreads challenge but that's about all I seem to be able to manage.

This week's book is a childhood favorite that I've been really looking forward to reading.  I don't remember the last time I read The Westing Game but it's been at least 20 years and if I'm being completely honest probably more like 25!  No matter how long it's been I can't even begin to count how many times I read The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.  I'm almost done with it now and I've been really impressed with how well it's holding up!  It's just as much now as I remember it being.

The Beginning:
The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east.  Strange!

My Thoughts:
Not the most exciting beginning but it does set the tone for some of the weirder things that happen during the book!

The 56:
No matter how much fear and suspicion he instilled in the players, Sam Westing knew that greed would keep them playing the game.

My Thoughts:  
Greed is a pretty strong motivator so I think Sam Westing knows what he's doing here!

So what do you think?  Keep reading?  Do you have a childhood favorite you'd love to reread?

22 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! I don't usually do challenges much, although this year I did three. I'll probably go back to not doing any next year lol, although I might do one. I mean I'm keeping up okay, but they don't really add that much? Readathons though I like, if I have time to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing a readathon this week and failing miserably lol. Oh well!! I signed up for some challenges this year and have had an awful time keeping track. I don't think I am cut out for them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one, but it reminds me a bit of House On Haunted Hill. As for reading challenges, my book list stays too full for me to take part. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine! http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsOFITG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do challenges either for the same reasons as you. I have enough linking to do with LibraryThing, GoodReads, Amazon, NetGalley or Edelweiss. I never remember to link up for challenges. I'm pretty sure I've read The Westing Game but I don't remember anything about it. This week I have Come Sundown by Nora Roberts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have limited myself to the one challenge these days: Read the Books You Buy...as I need help keeping my TBR cleared (that hasn't happened yet!).

    I gave up on the Goodreads Challenge, as their methods of "counting" books frustrated me (each version, a different book).

    I am curious about The Westing Game...thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “THE IDENTICALS”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodreads yearly reading challenge is the only one I participate in (and I've only "won" once!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been trying HARDER this year for my reading challenges. I have managed to do pretty well at the one I'm hosting myself... but I keep forgetting to link up my reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have ever heard of The Westing Game...hmmm, I need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually like the opening line. It would be something I would think about. Please visit my Friday Quotes Page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Friday! I have a really hard time committing to book challenges because I have so much going on, but there a few that I would love to get on board with. Specifically those that address the TBR pile. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same way with reading challenges. :-( I forgot about the Goodreads Challenge--probably because I am not taking it seriously this year.

    I'm not familiar with The Westing Game. It does sound good though. I don't often revisit childhood favorites. Perhaps I do somewhat now that my daughter is reading them, but it's been a while since I tried to read one.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That beginning is strange... lol... and the 56 rings true with any sport nowadays. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm afraid I've never heard of The Westing Game, either. I do enjoy reading certain books multiple times, especially the ones that are complex enough that you discover something new each time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know this book; I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that it's hard to keep up with challenges at times, especially if they are only around for one month!


    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do the Goodreads challenge and added the Blogger Shame challenge this year but that is it. I don't want to keep track of any more or be pressured by them. Every day is a readathon for me. I really don't know that I could read more than I already do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not great at readathons or challenges either, though I try sometimes and I'm even running one this year. As for The Westing Game, it's such a fun book! I like the audio version, which is how I first encountered the book (via my daughter Robin.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do really well with read-a-thons, but usually flop at challenges. My son loved The Westing Game, but I thought it was meh. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in a similar place with readathons and reading challenges - seems like such a great idea, but for one reason or another I can't follow through these days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my favorite middle school reads - and definitely the most memorable. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do okay with readathons but I cheat and use my own books instead of what is required oops lol. Reading Challenges are even worse for me!

    My BBH: http://poemsbyayoungartist.blogspot.com/2017/08/bookbloggerhop-august-11-17-readathons.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL that's me and read-a-thons. I love the idea, too. And would LOVE to participate but life and herd and memory...ergs. Never goes well. lol

    ReplyDelete