Saturday, August 19, 2017

At Wit's End - Cozy Mystery Review

At Wit's End by Kirsten Weiss (Amazon)

Rating: Good
Source: Author

Description: When Susan Witsend inherits her grandmother’s UFO-themed B&B, she’s ready to put her organizational skills to the test. She knows she can make the B&B work, even if there is a faux-UFO in the roof. After all, what’s not to love about a Victorian nestled in the high Sierra foothills? None of her carefully crafted policies and procedures, however, can prepare her for a corpse in room seven – the body of her small-town sheriff’s ex-husband. But Susan has her own plans to solve the crime.
In Susan’s mind, Men in Black, conspiracy-crazed old ladies, and an angry sheriff are just part and parcel of catering to UFO enthusiasts. But is there a government conspiracy afoot? Or is the murder a simple case of small town vengeance?

Susan must keep all her wits about her. Because the killer isn’t finished, and if she isn’t careful, her fate may be written in the stars…

Genre: Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book:  I've really enjoyed Weiss' Paranormal Museum mysteries so this UFO Bed and Breakfast mystery sounded too good to pass up!

My Impression:  UFOs aren't really my thing but a cozy mystery with a good dose of zany is most definitely by thing and this book delivered in spades!

I really liked Susan and her friend Arsen.  They've been friends for a long time and it's pretty clear to everyone but Susan that something is evolving there but that was never really center stage.  I enjoyed how they work together both professionally and for some of the other mayhem and hijinks that show up along the way.

One of my big questions when I read a mystery with an amateur detective is why are the investigating.  Just plain nosiness can get annoying fast but Susan passes the test with 2 reasons to become involved.  The body is found in her hotel and her cousin with a sketchy past is a prime suspect. The mystery is solid.  The reasons made sense and I really had no idea just who the killer was until towards the end of the book.  This is one of those mysteries were suspects abound and it was hard to narrow it down just who was the killer!  My only issue was that the reveal was a bit contrived.  However, this is a shorter mystery and I'd rather know all the details in a slightly contrived fashion than be left hanging.

There are a few background mysteries such as the "Disappeared" and just what is going on with the FBI agent that I hope are explored in later books.  This is a fun, seriously quirky cozy mystery that was a fast and entertaining read.  I'm looking forward to visiting with Susan and Arsen at Wit's End again soon!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I'm looking forward to the next Paranormal Museum mystery and the next in this series as well!

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you enjoy Weiss' Paranormal Museum mysteries I think you would really enjoy this as well.  If you enjoy a mystery with a lot of quirkiness that doesn't devolve into slapstick this is a good read!

4 comments:

  1. That house on the cover reminds me of some I used to see as a kid. Great review! Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that the mystery is solid. Must be hard to run a B&B with all that going on around you though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not one I'd reach for if I hadn't read your review. Now I think I might enjoy it. The cover art made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Weiss as the author would have me checking this one out, I admit. Like you, I can't say I'm really into UFO's. I will definitely give this one a try though! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete