Friday, August 25, 2017

Friday Linkups - A Study in Scarlet Women















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question?
Have you ever read a book written in a foreign language that you might be fluent in and then read the same book in English?

My Answer:
Unfortunately with my limited language skills I could potentially read a child's book in French (and I'm talking on the Goodnight Moon level - not middle grade) but that's about as far as I'd get. I love the idea of this though.

This week's book is one I've been wanting to read forever but have finally gotten the audio version since the 2nd book is coming out soon.  A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas is a good listen though I haven't fallen in love with it quite as much as I hoped.  I'm hoping I'll love reading it better than listening.

The Beginning:
Devonshire, England
1886

Had anyone told the Honorable Harrington Sackville that the investigation into his death would make the name Sherlock Holmes known throughout the land, Mr. Sackville would have scoffed.

My Thoughts:
There's kind of a prim tone to this beginning which I like.  It also makes me wonder just what is so special about Mr. Sackville's death.

The 56:
Livia wondered if she were roaring drunk.  Or perhaps Charlotte was.  The moo emerged with surprising vigor, if also plenty of unintended tremolo.
She moaned, "I sound like the bovine version of a fishwife, toward the end of an argument."
"But a victorious one," said Charlotte.

My Thoughts:
I love the basic insanity of this quote.  Things aren't quite as crazy as it sounds but things have definitely gotten out of hand!

So what do you think?  Keep reading?

22 comments:

  1. Oh I can most certainly answer the Book Hop question today. YES!!! I have done it a coupe of times. Afrikaans is my first language and not English. I can manage Dutch as well.

    I like your book that you've featured. Funny quote!

    PS: I didn't do a Friday Post, was away for the week and just catching up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am definitely curious! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “WATCH ME DISAPPEAR”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell from your notes above. Is the book a retelling of a Sherlock Holmes book by Doyle or is it just one of those books that makes Holmes one of the characters? BB is at the bottom of my book review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous cover. That and it being a historical setting makes me want to read it.

    My Friday 56 from Spiral Of Hooves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice. I have the second book this week. My teaser is from a historical mystery - A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yea, definitely nothing more than Goodnight Moon. Need the pictures to make the foreign words make sense lol. Great answer :)

    Megan @ Ginger Mom & the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book on audio and I really must make time for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that it's a beautiful cover. I like the trace of humor in the quotes.

    Reading versus listening? It struck me that they are different experiences, like reading a book in two languages might be? Hope reading helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this book a while ago and it was just okay. I hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to reading A Study in Scarlet Women one of these days. Hopefully the print version will wow you more than the audio version did.

    I would love to be fluent in multiple languages and admire those who are.

    I hope you have a great weekend, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be same as you with French possibly in a child's book or maybe Maori our indigenous people's language. I have been watching you read A Study in Scarlet Women and wondering about it, Sherry Thomas usually writes a good book, hope you keep going in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could recognize words in a child's book and perhaps listen to a conversation in Spanish, but I couldn't read an entire book in a different language.

    Very thought-provoking question today that is eliciting good conversations and comments.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog hop anaswer I only read English books even though I am bilingual in Spanish, but there is a reason why I don't read Spanish books which I explain on my blog hop post. Thank you so much for the awesome post have a great weekend and here is my blog hop link.

    http://katisbookaholicramblingreviews.blogspot.com/2017/08/book-blogger-hop-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that cover and the beginning especially pulled me in! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to read a book in another language, but it would take me years just to master the language!

    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. That 56 sounds fun, I'd keep reading. Especially with that cover. And this series is supposed to be pretty good I think. Alas my foreign language skills are rather lacking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was in school I took French for 2 years, so my teacher was always giving me books to read outside of class, but I never thought to read them in English, so that's a pretty amazing idea. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't read a book in another language, despite being fluent in Spanish at one time. If you don't use it, you definitely lose it! That cover is so striking! The teasers have made me unsure about it, though. I hope it will pick up and you enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always amazed by anyone who speaks a second language fluently enough to be able to read in another language. I had to do it in high school and it was hard. I couldn't do it now. Enjoy the book. This is one I have had my eye on so I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was going to do a blog post about trying to read a book in French that I had previously read in English, but the author never sent me the French version she had an extra of. I wish I had the nerve to remind her. Ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete