Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday - My Back to School Reading

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is a back to school freebie. While school has been quite some time ago I do still like to learn about new topics so here are some nonfiction reading that is on my Back to School TBR list.

1.  The Family that Couldn't Sleep: A Medical Mystery by D.T. Max- I'm always saying that if I didn't have to sleep I'd get so much more done but this is the story of a family who really can't sleep and things don't sound like they go particularly well.

2.  The Mad Sculptor:  The Maniac, the Model, and the Murder that Shook the Nation by Harold Schechter - I love a good murder mystery in fiction so this true murder mystery that takes place in Manhattan in the 1930s sounds like my kind of book!

3.  Village of Secrets: Defying the Nazis in Vichy France by Caroline Moorehead - Back years and years ago I read a book about how the famous vineyards and wineries hid their supplies from the Nazis and was absolutely fascinated by the story.  While this one isn't about wine it sounds like another winner.

4.  The Art of the English Murder: From Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes to Agatha Christie and Alfred Hitchcock by Lucy Worsley - The subtitle has my favorite author, an unsolved mystery I'm fascinated with, one of my favorite directors, and another favorite fictional character.  How can I resist the book?

5.  Mastering the Art of French Eating:  Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris by Ann Mah - We've made some dietary changes and I've kind of lost my interest in cooking.  I'm hoping this would reawaken it.

6.  As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - This is one of my favorite movies of all time and I've been dying to read this one but have been waiting to get it on audio.

7.  Q's Legacy: A Delightful Account of a Lifelong Love Affair with Books by Helene Hanff - 84, Charing Cross Road, is one of my favorite books of all time yet somehow I've yet to read this one.

8.  Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson - I've always been fascinated by the Lusitania and Larson is an author I've been wanting to read for awhile.

9.  The Rescue Artist: A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing Masterpiece by Edward Dolnick - I binged Raiders of the Lost Art on Netflix not that long ago and became mildly obsessed with art theft and the people who get the art back.

10.  First Women: The Grace and Power of America's Modern First Ladies by Kate Andersen Brower - The Residence about the White House staff was one of my favorite reads of 2015 yet somehow I've yet to read this book about the First Ladies.

What is your back to school reading?

18 comments:

  1. The Art of the English Murder does sound like a fabulous read, I love a good Hitchcock movie! And As You Wish is on my TBR but I should move it up and just read it!

    Mastering the Art of french Eating just looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for good nonfiction reads so I will have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read As You Wish and really enjoyed it. I listened to the audiobook which was narrated by Cary Elwes of course and it was amazing! I am definitely interested in First Women. I also have a book on my TBR about women who worked with radium. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list, Katherine. I have a number of nonfiction books I could have put in a list like this. Surprisingly, I haven't heard of most on your list! More to add to my wish list. I hope you do get a chance to try Carey Elwes book. It's worth it, especially if you are a fan of The Princess Bride. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always saying that bloggers don't read enough non-fiction. This is a great list and I'm definitely adding a few of these to my TBR. Happy reading!

    Crystal Book Snob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a variety of non fiction titles here; I hope you're able to enjoy them all at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just finished reading DEAD WAKE for book club and all of us admitted that we learned a lot from it. Books with memorable school scenes

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these books sounds interesting. I haven't read or heard of any of them, so thanks for giving me so many titles to peruse. :)

    Here is our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looooved Dead Wake! It was better than Devil in the White City (for me, anyways)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wracked my brain on this one trying to come up with a unique schoolish list and came up with zip. This was brilliant. I am reading a nonfiction book about dogs' sense of smell, right now, for Dog Days Of Summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! All of these sound like interesting reads!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these and I have actually only heard of one of them, As You Wish. I do need to branch out and read more nonfiction titles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. an eclectic mix, sounds interesting and pushing the boundaries. Too often we read the same sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting mix! Sadly, I think I've grown out of Princess Bride. Maybe it's just temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These all sound like books I'd pick up, things I'd be interested in learning about.

    ReplyDelete