Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Need You Now - Contemporary Romance Review

Need You Now (Cloud Bay #1) by Emma Douglas
Amazon B&N iBooks Kobo Books A Million

Rating:  Good
Source: Publisher

Description:  Caleb White knows what he wants out of life—and being a star tennis player is not it. After speaking to the press about his plans to retire, Caleb decides that a trip to quaint, beautiful Cloud Bay for its legendary music festival is exactly what he needs. There will be time to figure out what to do with his life without a racket in his hand soon enough. Until then, Caleb is content to be stuck on an island with CloudFest’s gorgeous director Faith Harper. . .

The daughter of a famous rock star, Faith knows all about fame, fortune, and hot flings that aren’t meant to last longer than a few good songs. Gorgeous, built Caleb is a temptation she can’t resist, but she’s not prepared for the way he makes her feel. . .and the dreams that they both share. What begins as a carefree distraction deepens into something real. But is Caleb ready to put his celebrity behind him and give life in the slow lane with Faith a chance?

Genre:  Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:  I liked that both characters were celebrities in their own way and especially that Caleb was a professional tennis player.  That's not something I've seen very often.

My Impression:  This was a little different from the usual "famous people" romances I've read in the past. The ones I've read in the past has one or the other unaware or unfamiliar with the famous person and their work.  In this both Caleb and Faith know exactly who each other are.  It was nice to start out that above board and open.  They're both pretty honest about their intentions as well.  Neither feels like they are ready for anything long term but are both interested in a casual fling.

I liked them both and liked them together as well.  Their chemistry was evident and they were really just fun to watch interact.  I had a few minor issues.  A few times Faith's reaction to the deepening connection made me want to shake her and while I liked Caleb I never felt like I got to see what was going on in his head as much as I would have liked.

Minor issues aside, this was a fantastic start to a contemporary romance series.  I can never resist a small town romance and when you put that town on an island I am hooked!  I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Faith, Caleb, and the rest of the side characters.  I can't wait until my next visit to Cloud Bay!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Yes!  This is the first book in a series and I'm excited to see where it goes.  I really enjoyed my time at Cloud Bay.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you like a contemporary romance this is one I think you'd enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. Book and author both new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems really sweet. It is different when they are both famous and know who each other is right away. Glad you enjoyed it, even if it wasn't perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I requested this one but haven't read it! I'm terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read much romance, but when I do, I definitely go for sweet, small-town love stories. This one sounds like something I might enjoy. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is nice and the story sounds good, too! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love small town romances and the idea of two celebrities being involved. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a review for this a day or two ago and thought I'd be tempted, after reading your review I am even more tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is rare for celebrity romances to start off with the soon-to-be couple knowing each other, so that is a nice change. I am glad you liked this one. It does sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do enjoy small town romances. The celebrity angle is a little different with this one. Glad you enjoyed it despite the minor issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like a small town romance so this might be one I'd enjoy. Thanks for telling us about it - hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the setting..small town and on an island...love that!

    ReplyDelete